Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

I have some questions about my landlord, renting, Bristol,

Customer Question

Hi, I have some questions about my landlord, renting
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where the property is located?
Customer: Bristol
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: so, my landlord increased the rent in the last 3 months in every month, I was asked him about a new tenancy agreement because I need evidence for the new rent price, but he said”For a fixed 12 months contract I will have to set it at the current market rent for a 3 bedroom house which in your area is £1200 per month”
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Expert:  Stuart J replied 15 days ago.

Hello. My name is***** you for the question.

It is my pleasure to assist you today.

I have been in the legal profession, in High Street practice, for almost 30 years so I have wide range of experience in a great many different aspects of law.

Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you.

Although I am shown as online, I may be dealing with other people, on the telephone, or typing.

Please be assured that you will receive an email once I have written a reply.

Just Answer is not a chat service, it’s an email reply board and therefore sometimes it will be minutes, sometimes it may be longer, even hours or overnight.

I apologise in advance if you suffer a delay.

Kind regards.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 15 days ago.

To clarify - he has increased the rent every three months?

how long have you been there?

and how were you informed of this?

has he protected your deposit and given you EPC etc?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
he did, we’re leaving here with my family(wife, 3 kids) since 2016, he not increased the rent till this year February which is ok but he did in the last 3 months, I was like for the first £120 increase , this is fair enough but he just put more and more. He was just sent a text message with. Do you want me to send over?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
File attached (3PZZQQQ)
Expert:  Stuart J replied 15 days ago.

He cannot increase the rent until it comes up for renewal which is probably February unless he didn’t renew it at some stage in the past and it just became rolling/periodic which case he can increase it 2 months notice.

But if he’s increased it and renew the tenancy, then he cannot increase it again until the next renewal.

If he hasn’t renewed the tenancy but it remains rolling/periodic, he can actually increase every 2 months.

You are at liberty to take the matter to the rent tribunal to have a “fair rent” set but be aware that the rent set by the tribunal may be higher than you are being asked to pay.

If it’s lower than you are being asked to pay the landlord may not like it may give you a section 21 notice to quit although that right is likely to be removed in the not-too-distant future although we don’t yet have a date for that.

So you could win the battle but lose the war.

I’m sorry, I know it’s not the answer you wanted.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question. I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have

Stuart

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you for your response
Expert:  Stuart J replied 15 days ago.

My pleasure to help. Can I help you any further with this? I’m glad that I was able to help so far. Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your legal problem. I'm happy to clarify anything which is outstanding. Please don't hesitate to ask. Kind regards Stuart

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I need to report my rent cost, but if he doesn’t give me a new tenancy agreement I don’t have an evidence. He will be giving a new if I agree the £1200( before February was £875). Is this right? By the way he did nothing on the property since we moved in. When I ask him to make a little bit of upgrade he says that if he so then he will increase the rent. What can I do?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 15 days ago.

I’m not certain what you are now asking. I don’t know you want to report the new rent to.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Have you seen the pictures what I sent you? I was asked him about a new tenancy agreement with the latest price, but he said, he will be giving me if I agree 1200(1050 at the moment after 3 increases in the last 3-4 months)
Expert:  Stuart J replied 15 days ago.

You can only give you an increase every 2 months if you are on a statutory periodic tenancy rolling over.

He cannot give you an increase every month in any circumstances.

If the tenancy renewed, but it’s only at the end of the current period.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok so the tenancy has been never renewed. I got only the original one. So if I ask him for a new one with actual price he have to give me? If he want to increase the price again he have to wait 2 months? Thank you
Expert:  Stuart J replied 15 days ago.

That’s correct.

Basically yes to give you two months notice of any changes including to get out although if you want to leave you only have to give him one month’s notice.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 15 days ago.

Can I help you any further with this?

It's my pleasure to help. I’m glad that I was able to help so far.

Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your legal problem.

I'm happy to clarify anything which is outstanding.

Please don't hesitate to ask.

Stuart

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
That’s everything. Thank you for your help.
Attila
Expert:  Stuart J replied 15 days ago.

Hello again. Thank you for letting me know.

If you don’t have any further questions, I will mark this question thread as complete for now, but don’t worry, the thread stays open if anything else crops up over the course of the next days weeks or months.

I’m glad that I was able to help.

Stuart