How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32224
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

We have paid for windows to be repaired just over £1000.00

This answer was rated:

We have paid for windows to be repaired just over £1000.00 and the work has not been done. I want to get a refund from the contractor- can you help?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Bristol, UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: only to phone the contractor and threaten legal action - no response
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have invoice infant of me now and still no response from window contractor. Can I send a solicitors letter to his home address?

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

I'm sorry to read of the above. For the avoidance of doubt, from what you say, this is not a situation where the contractor has carried out poor work but rather has simply failed to turn up to carry out the work at all. Is that correct please?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No the contractor carried out poor work and I paid him in full.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
no I will withdraw now as I expected some advise for £5.00 paid already
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I expect a plan of action for £5.00

Thank you. The starting point is that you have rights under the consumer rights act 2015 and the service the contractor should have carried out initially should have been provided with reasonable skill and care and the supplies they supplied should have been of satisfactory quality respectively. There is a likely breach of contract under the above terms implied into your agreement under the consumer rights act.

Accordingly, you can raise the above points with the contractor if you have not already done so and put it to them that they are in breach of contract under chapters 2 and 4 of the consumer rights act 2015. Under the above legislation they have one opportunity to attend to a repair, failing which you reserve your right to ask an independent contractor to carry out an repairs and remedial work as is necessary to bring the installation up to standard and subsequently look to the original installer for the costs of the same. If they fail to attend within a reasonable time or they decline to do so you can either instruct a replacement installer to carry out the work before pursuing a claim with the original contractor or you can proceed on the basis of the quotation received from an alternative contractor and bring a claim against the original contractor before you pay out any further funds as you prefer.

If a claim in the County Court becomes necessary, the simplest way to pursue a claim in this regard is by using the courts online issuing service:

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I am satisfied with answer and will get back if I need more advise , thanks!

I'm glad the above answers all your questions for now. If you have any follow up questions please revert to me.

I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favourite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer and see you again in the future I hope.

Joshua and other Law Specialists are ready to help you