How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4700
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

How can a foreigner be self-employed and simultaneously

Customer Question

How can a foreigner be self-employed and simultaneously employed in UK? Which Visa do I need? How do I get it? Do you have a pdf document or website with more clear info regarding the answer to this question?
JA: Has the foreigner talked to a lawyer about this? What country does the foreigner live in?
Customer: No. Belgium
JA: What steps has the foreigner taken so far?
Customer: None.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Self-employment would be as an HCPC registered Physiotherapist in UK
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 15 days ago.
Hi welcome to justanswer
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 15 days ago.
I amCustomerone of the legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 15 days ago.
I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need some time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 15 days ago.
If there is anything else you need, please let me know before I respond?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Nothing else. A clear answer to my question will be sufficient, thank you!
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 15 days ago.

Thanks for your patience and enquiry. The only visa that would allow this would be the skilled worker visa. I cannot speak to the particular area of employment that you seek to work in only with respect to what is allowed by virtue of the visa.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
you're saying with a skilled worker visa (no matter which company sponsors me) will allow me to be self-employed in a different field to the job I'm being sponsored to do?
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 15 days ago.

For you to do this, you would have to remain employed with your skilled worker sponsor.  The immigration rules and guidance do make provisions outside of this to allow for the worker to become self employed if it i is

  • Fewer than 20 hours per work; 
  • In the same category as the business, you already work in

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Any mimimum / maximum earning potential laws on the employment or self-employment?
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 15 days ago.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 15 days ago.

There is no issue with respect to earnings. The restriction is with respect to the hours being worked and the type of work you are allowed to do.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Good info, thank. But then that means I have to be sponsored to work as a Physiotherapist if I want to self-employ as a Physiotherapist for less than 20h/week?
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 15 days ago.

That is so.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Is there no loophole to work as something similar or not at all if I want to be self-employed as a Physiotherapist?
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 15 days ago.

I cannot advise you unfortunately outside of what the law says. It would be a personal whether you wish to work outside of the rules and whether this will have an implication on your ultimately applying to stay on in the uk.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Not asking for illegal advise. Just if there's a way to bend it? So it'll be easier to find a Visa sponsored job.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 15 days ago.

I am unable to give any additional guidance outside of what I have given so far,