How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MARTINT330 Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1665
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
MARTINT330 is online now

Would like to ask if we can appeal length sentence of my

Customer Question

Would like to ask if we can appeal length sentence of my partner
JA: What are the exact charges? Is this a civil or criminal case?
Customer: criminal
JA: Where did this occur? Sentencing laws vary by location.
Customer: uk Isleworth crown court
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: He already Been sentenced we have a lawyer but I want to get a different opinion.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 13 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 13 days ago.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 13 days ago.

Unfortunately no, criminal defendants generally can't appeal "lawful" sentences. But a defendant can appeal a sentence if it's illegal, unconstitutional, or unreasonably excessive For example, if a judge imposes a sentence that exceeds the maximum punishment allowed for the crime in question, an appeals court would have the power to correct the sentence.

However, if the defendant didn't notify the sentencing judge of an illegal sentence, the appellate court cannot review it. (The way the defense is supposed to notify the trial court—for example, by a petition for review of the sentence—depends on the jurisdiction.)

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 13 days ago.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi yes.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
We think is very excessive also the role is he Been give us q wrong
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The police and our solicitor agreed on the basis of plea and last minute they changed to significant he is been charged of drug offence
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi ?
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 12 days ago.

Good morning, if grounds of appeal are present and identified, a solicitor will complete the relevant forms (Form NG) and will submit all the paperwork to the criminal division of the Court of Appeal.

A Crown Court appeal application usually has to be submitted within 28 days after the date of conviction or sentence. There are exceptions to this rule where a request can be made for the Court of Appeal to allow an appeal ‘out of time’. This type of application must be justified and the full reasons why the application is out of time must be explained.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 12 days ago.

Quashed convictions and reduced sentences when people have received negative advice from their trial representatives are common. However, it is strongly recommended that you instruct a local solicitor is sought before lodging any appeal.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 12 days ago.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.