Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I am looking for clarification on my suspended sentence. I

Hi I am looking for clarification on my suspended sentence. I am in the UK and this is my first offense. I was given a suspended imprisonment 6 months wholly suspended 18 months. What exactly does this mean, is my suspended sentence up 18 months from conviction date or 24 months (18+ the 6)
JA: What are the exact charges? Is this a first-time offense?
Customer: That is irrelevant to the question I am after clarification of the disposal I have been given
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this case?
Customer: Yes, this robot is very annoying, I asked a simple question on clarification of legal mumbo jumbo
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Hello, I’m Ben, a solicitor, and it’s my pleasure to assist you. I may ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Are you subject to a DBS check that you need to know about? 

I also wanted to make you aware that this is not always an instant service, due to various legal engagements I could have and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your query and will get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I got my dbs check as it was the only way to find out the information, I have a very long and complicated case.The DBS says suspended imprisonment 6 months wholly suspended 18 months.I want to know when my suspended sentence is up. Conviction date 22nd December 2020.I can't find any information online everything is conflicting.Is my suspended sentence 18 months or 18+6(24 months) I have read both things online and am very confused. I don't have probation, they signed me off after 2 weeks as the whole case was a farce and I am an upstanding member of society

Many thanks for your patience, it is appreciated. I am now pleased to be able to provide further assistance with your query. The way this would be calculated is by adding the two periods together. So if it is a 6 month prison sentence, wholly suspended for 18 months, then any further offences during the 24 months would mean that the original prison sentence is imposed, rather than remain suspended. So if you were originally convicted in December 2020, you need to assume that the suspension period expires in December 2022.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you for clarification

You are most welcome. If you have any further questions about this, please do not hesitate to get back to me and I will be happy to help. All the best.