How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32228
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

I need an advice. I need to apply for a Enrolled Deed Poll

This answer was rated:

Good afternoon. I need an advice. I need to apply for a Enrolled Deed Poll document in order to change my surname in my Russian passport. I have Document Deed Poll .What forms do I need to fill out? What documents to send? Are witness signatures required? Can you help me with this?
Thank you.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I went to the Russian embassy they told me to get a Enrolled Deed Poll
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I dont know

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

for the avoidance of doubt, the Russian embassy has advised you that you would need to change your name first here in the UK under the UK jurisdiction. Is that correct please?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
The Russian embassy told me that in order to change my surname, I need to get an Enrolled deed polls, then get an apostille, then translate everything into Russian and certify that the document is correct.
I have a question. Is there currently an easier way to get the end result.

thank you. In order to create an enrolled deed poll, you can obtain the necessary documents you need to do so at the following link:

you will need to complete and swear the deed poll for which you will need to make an appointment with a local solicitor. You will need to advertise the deed poll subsequently in the London Gazette and pay the requisite court fee and advertising fee which totals £42.44 p in all.

Full instructions are included within the above document pack

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thanks for the answer. I have already visited this site and printed all the documents. What forms do I need to fill out? Is the signature of a witness required? Why should I sign up with a lawyer? Can I mail it all? What other documents do I need to send besides forms?

the forms that need to be completed are contained in this link:

You will need to swear statutory declaration which as above needs to be done in front of the solicitor

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
How much will it cost me to make an appointment with a local solicitor?

there is a statutory swearing fee of 5 pounds that would apply for the swear

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
In addition to taking an oath before a lawyer, do I need the signature of a witness who has known me for 10 years?

you will need two separate witnesses to witness your signature but there is no requirement for those witnesses to have known you for any period of time

I hope the above is of some assistance but if you have any further questions, please revert to me.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Good afternoon. Can you advise me the nearest lawyer for me to take the oath.

unfortunately, I do not have access to your address and therefore cannot answer this question. However, you can easily find the nearest solicitors to you using the following link:

All solicitors also act as Commissioner for oaths

I trust the above was of assistance and that you do not have any follow up questions for now. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me though.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Good afternoon. I'm still thinking about this situation and think about questions. I'll write to you later. Thank you.

I'm glad the above answers all your questions for now. If you have any follow up questions please revert to me.

I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favourite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer and see you again in the future I hope.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
1044;обрый день. Я благодарю вас за помощь, вы помогли мне с моим запросом. Спасибо содействие.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Good afternoon. I thank you for your help, you helped me with my request. Thank you for your assistance.

I'm glad the above is of some assistance

Joshua and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you