12826847

My husband was attacked at a 5 star resort in Greece and

Customer Question

My husband was attacked at a 5 star resort in Greece and hospitalised . The hotel failed duty of care and we need legal.advice
JA: Has your husband talked to a lawyer about this? What country does your husband live in? If different, what country does this legal question relate to?
Customer: We live in the UK. The accident happened in Greece
JA: What steps has your husband taken so far?
Customer: We have a Greek police report , a UK report from our local police , a hotel report a witness statement from another guest . No other help so far from anyone
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am looking for legal representation for my husband on the attack he sustained from another guest in a 5 star hotel . He was hospitalised
Expert:  Jo C. replied 15 days ago.
Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today. I am a barrister with over 15 years experience.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 15 days ago.

Are you asking if the UK police can prosecute?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No , I would like to sue the hotel for failure for duty of care and sue the attacker as the hotel gave me his details
Expert:  Jo C. replied 15 days ago.

You will need to take advice in Greece then.

The law in the UK is a non issue.

The law in Greece will be critical.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
The police can not prosecute
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
As it happened on Greek soil.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I need to find a lawyer that can help sue the individual and hotel
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi Jo , I am not in Greece so how can I do that ?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 15 days ago.

Have you read my post?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
How do I take advice in Greece
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
The attacker lives in the UK
Expert:  Jo C. replied 15 days ago.

Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today.

Please bear with me as I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you.

Sometimes I will get back to you very quickly, other times it's going to be longer and possibly hours or overnight

Please bear in mind that it takes me time to type answers and I also have clients and sometimes have to attend court so I may not get back to you immediately.

To be wholly honest, its near impossible.

You would need to approach somebody in practice in Greece and you are presuming that their laws are comparable. Most jurisdictions do have laws of negligence but this isn’t negligence. This is predicated on the basis that they had a duty of care which they would not even have breached on these facts in the UK so its unlikely they did in Greece.

But to investigate that you would need to approach somebody in Greece who spoke enough English or could find an interpreter and sue in Greece.

If he lives in the UK, they have no jurisdiction to make him pay anyway.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok thanks . Basically we have little hope.of getting any help .
Expert:  Jo C. replied 15 days ago.

Thats right.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 15 days ago.

Sorry about your position.

There are sentencing guidelines which you will find here

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/offences/magistrates-court/item/unfit-through-drink-or-drugs-drive-attempt-to-drive-revised-2017/

I'm afraid there is a mandatory disqualification though. The courts have no discretion. In this case it would be 12-16 months.

With drug driving there isn’t much you can do really except plead guilty, accept responsibility and apologise. You can obviously emphasis the absence of any previous, any compelling reasons for driving at that time and the shortness of any distance driven at speed if indeed that is true.

I am sorry but I can only tell you the truth.

Do remember that I can only give you my opinion.

Another lawyer may have a different opinion. Litigation needs at least 2 parties and neither goes to court expecting to lose.

Nonetheless, one of them does, even though they have been told by their respective legal advisers that they have a good chance of success.

If there was a black-and-white answer to every legal problem there would be no need for anything to ever proceed to court.

The ultimate decision comes from a county court judge in a civil case or from the magistrate in a criminal case heard in the magistrates court or the jury in Crown Court.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 14 days ago.

It was my pleasure to assist you. Please come back if anything else crops up and needs clarification.

Thank you for trusting Just Answer, and of course me, with your legal problem.

If you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question by typing @JoC

Thanks again,

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi Jo ,
I am not sure whether you read the details of the case as you mentioned drink driving and it was not anything to.do with this . My husband was assaulted and hospitalised in a private resort . I am not sure if the answer relates to my query at all .Thank you for your time , but I do feel we have a strong case.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 14 days ago.

the last answer was a post that was meant for somebody else.

The first is right.