How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4689
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

Brought out my ex partner out of our house via a remortgage

This answer was rated:

Hi , Brought out my ex partner out of our house via a remortgage in November 2021, found out today 20th June 2022 that there is request for her solicitor membership for conveyancing to be proved to the HMLR.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Back in touch with my solicitors that dealt with it in November . Spoken to the HMLR back in May 22 as I am trying to sell the house, that is when I found out my new current solicitors (not the same as the one who did the remortgage) dealing with the sale of the house . Chased today to be told they are waiting for my ex to reply.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Why wasn't this highlight by the first solicitor who hand over the money to my ex
Hi welcome to justanswer
I am Readylaw one of the legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation.
I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need some time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you.
If there is anything else you need, please let me know before I respond?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I have buyers for my house and found somewhere else. Also was surprised to find out the the first solicitors only sent the TR1form to HMLR in March 22 when I was told it was all completed in November 21
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
That is it .

Thanks for your patience and enquiry. This all seems to be negligent on the part of your solicitors. This was all supposed to have been done. You may want to take action against the solicitors if you incur any cost as a consequence of their negligence.

Your first step would be to complain to their complaints team about the error. If they fail to provide a resolve to this, you may escalate your complaint to the legal ombudsman.

In relation to the issue at hand however you do need confirmation from your ex in order to proceed with having this removed.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok thanks , would you expect the solicitor acting on my behalf to question the other parties solicitors abilities to act in this matter as being a qualified conveyancer?

This is not a requirement of a solicitor.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
where would the negligence be ?
I know I still need to get my ex to confirm removal of her name from the deeds but she as the money now and still named on the deeds.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
as now I have paid out and received incorrect documents and advice I can demand the money back ?

The negligence would be the failure on the part of the solicitor to ensure that the transaction was complete and your ex removed from the deed. This ought to have been done at the point of you paying the money to your ex. As it stand your ex could claim an interest in the property as the name still appears on the deed. This would be a huge error therefore on the part of the solicitor. You could in making your complaint make a request for compensation as well as for the solicitor to cover the legal cost affiliated with putting this right.

ReadyLaw and other Law Specialists are ready to help you