SASH_Law
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
96947008

Will I get in any trouble if I drop a case after giving a

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: will I get in any trouble if I drop a case after giving a statement and the person being in custody
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Harrow
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i reported a situation to the police about my ex he’s been arrested today and I just gave a statement but I want to tell them I want to drop the whole case and no action to be done will I get in any trouble for asking them to do so?
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 16 days ago.

Hello, how are you today? 

My name is ***** ***** I am going to see if I can assist with your query. Let me just read your first post. I may need to ask you additional questions after I have read it, and if I do, they will appear below. It is important you answer all the questions I ask, so that I have the information I need to give you an accurate response. JA is a Q&A website, and this ‘chat’ is email based, which means responses may not be immediate. Do rest assured however, that I will be providing you with an answer to your query today.

The site will offer a phone call, this is automated and it is important for you to know that I do not make calls. I will answer your query online.

Please confirm that you have read and understood this message and then we can begin.

Expert:  SASH_Law replied 16 days ago.

Besides making a statement, was there any evidence you showed them?  E.g. photos, recordings, to show the abuse?

Expert:  SASH_Law replied 16 days ago.

Unfortunately it is not as simple as saying you don’t want to proceed anymore. The English process does not work like that.

When you report abuse, the police will arrest the perpetrator and investigate, and if they have enough information, they will pass that information to the Crime Prosecution Service (CPS) who are the ones who make the decision as to whether or not to prosecute the perpetrator.

Usually they will already have the victim’s statement, any body cam evidence that was collected at the time of the report/arrest, eye witness accounts and statements, and potentially medical evidence, or photographs of injuries. So even if you decide you no longer wish to proceed, they can do so without your cooperation.

You can of course notify the investigating officer that you wish to withdraw your statement, and say that will not support a prosecution, but that doesn’t stop them from proceeding if they believe they have enough evidence.  If you are the only witness, then the chances of the case being dropped are higher than if there are several witnesses, especially if independent, and other corroborating evidence.

I am sorry this will obviously not be the news you were hoping for, but it is how English law works in this instance.

Expert:  SASH_Law replied 16 days ago.

Expert:  SASH_Law replied 16 days ago.

If you have new questions and wish to ask for my assistance, you can do so by putting FORCustomerONLY in the subject heading of a new thread. Alternatively, once you have rated this question, you will get the option to add me as a favourite expert from your membership page. Then, when you wish to ask me another query, you can then simply type “@“ followed by my name in your next chat, e.g. @SASH_Law.

Please note that there is no need to respond to this message.

Thanks for using JA! All the best!