Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

My friend who is separated and on benefits and also has

Customer Question

My friend who is separated and on benefits and also has mental health issues is living in a complex with a neighbour who is violent and constantly smoking weed which is polluting the building. The additional problem is that although his ex has custody of their seven year old daughter he has her a lot of the time as his ex works. His daughter often stays overnight. He is getting little support from the police and the council and indeed has been threatened by his neighbour for contacting them. In some occasions he is suicidal and only the fact that his daughter needs him has stopped him going through with it. Please help.
JA: Where are his ex and his daughter? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: On the outskirts of East Linton, East Lothian. He is in Dunbar
JA: What steps have they taken so far?
Customer: He could move back in with his ex but she was abusive physically and mentally towards him. He has asked both the police and the council to move him but they say he is not a priority as he has a roof over his head. The police have also told him that they cannot do any thing about the neighbour until the neighbour actually does something to him and his daughter and he has sufficient evidence.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't think so.
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 14 days ago.
Hi thank you for your message I will look to assist
I am sorry to say but he has already gone to the appropriate authorities. The police are unlikely to follow up on the weed point given their general attitude to personal use even though it is still illegal. In terms of the council he could try complaining to his councillor and in terms of the police his local police and crime commissioner. I trust this assists

Thank you for using JustAnswer