Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
106220719

Morning, I have been in contact with you this morning and

Customer Question

Morning, I have been in contact with you this morning and have paid the £5 and created an account. Do I need to resubmit my question?
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 15 days ago.
Hi, thank you for your message. What is your question?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I bought and lived in my property since May 2010 and have not had any disputes ref boundaries with my neighbour. Last year a new neighbour moved in and almost instantly started to claim that part of my garden is his land and demanded we moved our fences, but never gave us any legal proof. We have since obtained his land registry and his and ours are different even though the boundary’s have been the same since the houses were built. He has threatened to take us to a small claims court, but hasn’t and had now started to remove my boundry at the front of my house without consultation. I have phoned the police, but they are not prepared to do anything. Now he has bought fence panels to start to remove my fences in the back garden. We have never changed our boundaries and have proof they were like they are when we moved in 12 years ago.
Hi, thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately the land registry documents are not 100% accurate. You will need to get a surveyor to determine the boundary. However that said. As you have used the land for 12 years you may be able to claim adverse possession. You can apply here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/adverse-possession-registration-adv1
You will need to show 10 years of possession. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have questions. Best wishes
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi, thank you for response.
If I claim adverse possession which I have proof of and previous neighbour has said it is my land. Can the new neighbour contest my claim?
Hi, yes they can contest the claim
Best wishes