Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
107013918

I am not sure if my case would fall under UK law, I am

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I am not sure if my case would fall under UK law
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I am professional seafarer, and back in January I have been recruited by crewing agency from UK to work for company registered in Singapore
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: No steps so far
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: there was an agency from Uk involved in my employment for company tregistered in Singapore. I have taken up some courses, and recently I've been informed mentioned company will not hire me
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 15 days ago.

Hello. I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England and Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and shall be reviewing your legal problem today.

I shall be delighted to talk with you by phone to discuss your issue in greater detail if you accept the site’s automatic offer of a Premium Service Phone Call.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 15 days ago.

Please upload a copy of your agency workers contract for my review.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hello again. I'd rather prefer to write and get answer this way.
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 15 days ago.

I shall be delighted to speak to you today if you accept the site’s automatic offer.

Any additional charges for a Premium Service Phone Call are displayed with the site’s option.

To decide if you want a Premium Service Phone Call, I am happy to provide my answer by text on the Portal first. Once you have considered my written answer, you may then accept the offer of a Premium Service Phone Call.

I have not received a notification that you have accepted a Phone Call.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Please find attached offer letter sent to me
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 15 days ago.

It appears that you are being employed by the Singapore company and therefore the contract of employment will be governed by the laws of that jurisdiction.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
ok, what about crewing agency from UK?
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 15 days ago.

They may be simply a referral and introduction business and have nothing to do with the actual employment relationship.

Do you have a copy of their terms to show me?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I am looking for it, one minute
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Dear Mr Dominik,As per GDPR - General Data Protection Regulation As registered with MNR for job seeking and administration purposes related to your sea going service to our Clients we need to utilise your data to allow us to meet your and the client’s requirements. To this end it would be much appreciated if you could read through and retain a copy of the attached documents which cover our updated data protection policy and our privacy notice:- MNR Privacy Notice- MNR Data Protection PolicyWe, at MNR, treat your details carefully and shall always protect and handle your personal information with the utmost respect.All seafarers who are administered by MNR Ltd need to confirm that you are happy for us to handle your personal data, it would therefore be much appreciated if you could confirm this by responding to this message as follows:"I confirm that MNR Ltd can handle my personal data in line with the data protection policy.“I, ………………………………………… (full name and surname) give my permission for MNR to approach my current / previous employers to provide MNR with confirmation of my employment periods, rank served and sea service.”Should you have any queries pleased forward them to our Data Protection Officer at ***@******.***.Best regardsStella BoukogianniOffice Administrator & Assistant Personnel OfficerMNR Ltd.The Port of Liverpool BuildingPier HeadLiverpoolL3 1BYTel: +44(###) ###-####
Fax: +44(###) ###-####
Email: ***@******.***Web: www.mnrltd.com
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
this is best I've found. As matter of fact I never signed any documents with this agency
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 15 days ago.

This is a data processing consent notice, not an employment contract.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 15 days ago.

I suggest that you speak to your agency and ascertain who is the employer and which country's legal jurisdiction will apply.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
right, and I have no contract with agency. Employer is from Singapore, this clear. I am trying to figure out the role and responsibility of the agency registered in UK
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 15 days ago.

I believe that the agency is the referrer/introducer between you and the employer in Singapore who will pay the agency a commission fee based on a percentage of your wages.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I am sure you are correct about this. Do they bear any responsibility?
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 15 days ago.
Not as an employer, no.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
ok, thank you for your assistance
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 15 days ago.

Please treat this answer with caution as I need to see your contract with the agency.   You must check with them if they are the employer or the Singapore company.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 15 days ago.

Thank you for the positive feedback. I am delighted that you are satisfied with my reply and wish you all the very best in resolving this matter.

If you require further legal advice from me, please create a new text thread on the portal and start it with @EdTurner. I will be notified of your request and prioritise it.

LawyerEd