How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 26816
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

I am trying to withdraw a small pension that i have, the

Customer Question

I am trying to withdraw a small pension that i have, the company have agreed that i can do this however they have asked me to verify my bank account , i have done this by sending a copy of my online bank statement. the say they wont accept this as they require a paper copy, which has been sent to my address, i opted out of paper statements some years ago as everything is online banking and i have no need of them. Can their reasonably refuse to pay me my pension on these grounds?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK county Durham
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have emailed them and told them its very easy to verify by bank account online, also i have phone by bank and asked them if the would provide me with a letter verify my account details, they say that is something they will not do and the online statement should suffice. It was also the company that contacted be in the first instance to ask what i wanted to do regarding my pension.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Only that i have been trying to get them to make payment for several months now
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 14 days ago.

Hello. My name is***** you for the question.

It is my pleasure to assist you today.

I have been in the legal profession, in High Street practice, for almost 30 years so I have wide range of experience in a great many different aspects of law.

Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you.

Although I am shown as online, I may be dealing with other people, on the telephone, or typing.

Please be assured that you will receive an email once I have written a reply.

Just Answer is not a chat service, it’s an email reply board and therefore sometimes it will be minutes, sometimes it may be longer, even hours or overnight.

I apologise in advance if you suffer a delay.

Kind regards.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 14 days ago.
Who is this pension with?

and have you been emailing/calling them?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Suhall Tabassum Pensions Administrator Aegon Pensions
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I have emailed them on several occasions
Expert:  Stuart J replied 14 days ago.

Let me tell you now that pension companies are a pain in the backside. In spades.

I had a problem with a mainstream pension company where they told me that I could do something and sent me the application form and then when I fill the application form and they told me that I couldn’t. It took 2 ½ years to resolve.

Absolutely ludicrous.

I have also come across this before where they want a printed copy of the bank statement and they will not accept an online one and as you have said, you opted out of paper statements (as indeed I have) some years ago. You can always opt back in, get a statement, and then opt back out again or call into the bank and ask them to print something or get the bank to contact them directly.

However legally they don’t need any of this. All they need is you to give them details of your bank account and that’s it. They don’t have to have all this paperwork.

So can we reasonably refuse? In my opinion, not at all.

You can either take them to court or make a complaint to the Pension Ombudsman but the problem is that the Ombudsman is going to take 12 months.

I agree with everything you’ve been told by your own bank.

I would tell them that unless they accept what you already have, then they are going to be in front of the Pension Ombudsman and you will be asking the Ombudsman to award compensation against them in respect of the delay and interest.

You could always make a complaint in writing to the head of the pensions department at the pension provider stating all of the above and see whether that gets you anywhere. Meanwhile, I would get straight on the case with the Ombudsman.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question. I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have

Kind regards


Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Many Thanks Stuart that has been a big help
Expert:  Stuart J replied 14 days ago.

I am glad to help.

If you don’t have any further questions, I will mark this question thread as complete for now, but don’t worry, the thread stays open if anything else crops up over the course of the next days weeks or months.

I’m glad that I was able to help.

Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your legal problem.

Kind regards


Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Good morning Stuart, I have just received a notification from my bank for a payment of £50 to "Just Answer "could you explain what this payment is for ? as i believe that our transaction was settled when i paid the £5 for the 1 question. If you could respond asap please as the bank has this payment pending.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 7 days ago.

I am sorry but I do not work directly for Just Answer, I am an independent solicitor and therefore I don’t have access to your account. Indeed, I couldn’t access that part of the system even if I wanted to.

So I don’t know what you’ve been charged or what you been paid and I cannot help with any billing enquiries.

However you can contact customer services because they are very helpful.

They can be contacted in a variety of ways including telephone, email and chat via the links below or on the telephone number below.


there is also a telephone number: 0808(###) ###-####/p>

I am certain that Customer Services will be able to resolve things for you.

Kind regards