How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 78215
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Builder did mot finish work and not responding to my calls

This answer was rated:

Builder did mot finish work and not responding to my calls what do I do
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: canterbury kent
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: going to try calling again to see if I can get him to come and finish the job. If not want to complain to the ombudsman for builders if there is one
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: is there a charge for speaking to the lawyer?
Hello, I’m Ben, a solicitor, and it’s my pleasure to assist you. I may ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

I understand you are having some issues with a builder who has not completed work and is no longer responding to your calls. Please provide some more details of the circumstances that have led to this point so that I can better understand your situation

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Contacted builder to fix roof due to holes in the felt lining. Ceiling in the bathroom also to be taken out and replaced.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
How long is the call and any additional costs?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi, are you still there?

Hi there. Phone calls are an additional service, which is entirely optional and I am still here to deal with your original query in writing over this chat. To query charges for this service, you would need to contact customer services as I am user on this site the same as you

So just to clarify the builder has completed the work but not come back to remedy it; is this correct?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
He attended finally sorted the roof but few loose tiles, dozen drain not in drain and too long. Ceiling in the bathroom done but the made errors with drilling extra hole. Hole covered with gritty cement and they have not skimmed over it so we can paint the ceiling. Also asked for invoices and none provided so far.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.

OK thank you, ***** ***** he provide you with his registered trading details?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Not sure I understand what you mean registered trading details

No problem. Did you provide you with his full business name and address?

Many thanks for your patience, it is appreciated. I am now pleased to be able to provide further assistance with your query. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues brought up by this. It must be a frustrating situation to be going through.

If you have paid the builder and he has failed to carry out the works that you had agreed, then you can consider pursuing him for compensation for the amount paid and try to recover the money that way.

If a party wishes to pursue another for financial compensation arising out of a dispute between them, they can potentially do so by making a court claim. However, as legal action should only be used as a last resort, there are certain steps that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without the need to involve the courts. It is therefore recommended that the following steps are taken in order to try and resolve this:

1. Reminder letter – if no informal reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the other party to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but have been ignored, the other party must be sent a formal ‘letter before action’ asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time – 14 days is reasonable. They should be advised that if they fail to make contact to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue them for compensation. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this without the need for legal action. There are numerous templates available online for such letters and a simple search will bring up a list of useful results.

3. If the letter before action is also ignored, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to There will be a fee payable, which depends on the amount that is claimed. The other side will eventually get a copy of the claim and they will have a limited time to answer it. They could accept it and pay what is owed, they could accept it only in part and defend the rest, or they could outright reject it. They could also completely ignore it, in which case judgment will eventually be entered automatically against them. Also, it is worth noting that the simple act of submitting a claim could show the other side that this is being taken seriously and prompt them to consider negotiating a potential solution to stop the claim progressing further, such as offering full or partial payment of the amount sought in the claim.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

I trust that everything has now been dealt with to your satisfaction and your original question has been resolved. If you have any further queries about it, please do not hesitate to get back to me on here. In the meantime, I wish you all the best.

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you