Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

I received, accepted & paid for a travel insurance quotation

I received, accepted & paid for a travel insurance quotation which clearly stated worldwide - I have submitted a claim but now find that the actual policy states excluding USA & Canada. How can this be
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I live in the UK but was hospitalised in the USA
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: The claim is "disputed" and the insurers say they have 8 weeks to look into it so we are waiting
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No

Hello. My name is***** you for the question.

It is my pleasure to assist you today.

I have been in the legal profession, in High Street practice, for almost 30 years so I have wide range of experience in a great many different aspects of law.

Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you.

Although I am shown as online, I may be dealing with other people, on the telephone, or typing.

Please be assured that you will receive an email once I have written a reply.

Just Answer is not a chat service, it’s an email reply board and therefore sometimes it will be minutes, sometimes it may be longer, even hours or overnight.

I apologise in advance if you suffer a delay.

Kind regards.

Who is the insurer?

is this the first time you have visited the US?

and what happened and how much did it cost?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Aviva, ave been travelling to the US for 30+ years & circa $55k !
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Sorry, didn’t see the additional cost, please cancel the call
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Please do not incur the additional charges & confirm cancellation by text please
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Please confirm cancellation of the call and any additional charges by return

You have probably seen a pop-up offering you the chance of a telephone call at an extra cost. It is up to you whether you have a telephone call or not but do bear in mind that a 15-30 minute telephone call covers an awful lot of ground and you can get an awful lot of information in that time. So you can ignore it or go ahead or go ahead later. It’s your choice.

Meanwhile, we can carry on on here.

Just let me get the facts right.

You thought you were buying worldwide insurance because that was what was quoted but in actual fact when you got it you didn’t read it and then it excludes USA and Canada?

Is that the case?

I can think of a lot of countries that would be excluded but they wouldn’t be two of them. I thought they would have been the ones that would have been included in various others like Bolivia or Bogotá would be excluded.

I don’t know the reason behind the difference between the quotation and the policy but you need to know why they didn’t send you what you thought you were buying and if necessary make a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman.

There is a process that you need to go through although you can phone them, you will need to put everything in writing

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumer/complaints.htm:

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question. I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have

Stuart

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The trouble is that I never saw the actual policy - the problem arose having been admitted to hospital in the US & contacting the insurance company to advise them of my admission and receive a claim number, then to be told that the policy excludes USA & Canada. I only have a screenshot of the actual quotation - I expected to receive the policy by email, it never arrived but we were in the midst of the covid culture of working from home and we individuals had to tolerate a lot of sub standard service from big companies so no alternative but to wait and hope ! Something went wrong in their system from the quotation to the policy which I was completely unaware of until making the claim!
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I didn't want to take you up on the £44 telephone call, hadnt realised the charges involved and requested cancellation straightaway but I've received an email saying it has been taken - can you arrange a refund/credit my account since I haven't had the telephone call and don't want to be charged.

Meanwhile, we can carry on on here.

I hear everything that you say. However you can really only do what I mentioned although you do have an additional remedy and that is quite simply to take the insurance company to court for whatever the claim costs and let a county court judge decide the issue.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi Stuart, I cancelled the "call" as soon as I realised it was at a £44 cost - can you confirm that this charge will be credited as I didn't want to be charged.

I am sorry but I do not work directly for Just Answer, I am an independent solicitor and therefore I don’t have access to your account. Indeed, I couldn’t access that part of the system even if I wanted to.

So I don’t know what you’ve been charged or what you been paid and I cannot help with any billing enquiries.

However you can contact customer services because they are very helpful.

They can be contacted in a variety of ways including telephone, email and chat via the links below or on the telephone number below.

https://www.justanswer.com/help/contact-us

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

*****@******.***

there is also a telephone number: 0808(###) ###-####/p>

I am certain that Customer Services will be able to resolve things for you.

Stuart

Customer: replied 16 days ago.

No problem