Vineet S
Vineet S,
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
60556257

I don't know whether you can advise on this. I'm asking on

Customer Question

Hello - I don't know whether you can advise on this. I'm asking on behalf of my hairdresser who is a single mum with a 2 year old and owns her own business. She lives in an 'up and under' property with another tenant living above her - the landlady owns both properties. Recently her gas/electricity bills have risen from around £100 to £420 a month which she cannot afford to pay (she is already in arrears with her fuel bills). She suspects that she is paying electricity for both properties but cannot prove it. The other tenant has an agreement with the landlady whereby he pays a set rent which includes his fuel bills. The landlady insists that both properties have separate meters but my friend cannot prove this and the other tenant refuses to engage with her about the matter. She has contacted the energy company and they have confirmed that there is only one supply to that address/property. Could you advise what she needs to do please?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Huddersfield, Kirklees, West Yorkshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Contacted energy supplier who cannot help - they simply go off meter readings. Contacted Landlady who insists that there are separate meters in each property. Tried to speak to the other tenant who won't engage.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't think so
Expert:  Vineet S replied 15 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today. Please note, Just Answer is an information sharing platform in a Q/A format and does not provide legal representation in any form and as such no legal lawyer/client relationship is formed.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

If a phone call is not required then please ignore phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

Please further note , I am a third party professional and have no control over any payment /refunds /cancellations issues.

You can contact Just Answer`s Customers team for any admin issues , by clicking the below weblink-

https://www.justanswer.co.uk/help/contact-us or via phone call - 0808(###) ###-####/p>

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 15 days ago.

Hi there,

I will be with shortly.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 15 days ago.

Hi there,

The usual system of dividing the cost of supplying heating / hot water by the number of tenants and charging them a share through a service charge has become a criminal offence following the introduction of the Heat Network (Metering and Billing) Regulations 2014.

As it is statutory compliance, your Landlord is required to install individual electricity meters to the properties rented to different tenants.

Your friend can ask for the electricity bill for her property to see her usage and to confirm the charges from her Landlord.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 15 days ago.

If the Landlord fails to provide the relevant electricity bill and insist your friend to pay up then your friend need to report the Landlord to her local council.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
the issue is that she pays her supplier direct and the other tenant has an agreement with the landlady whereby he pays one amount to cover rent and energy bills. How can she prove that she isn't paying for both properties?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
no I don't want you to call me - is this advice costing me any more than the original £5 I have paid please?
Expert:  Vineet S replied 15 days ago.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 15 days ago.

She need copy of her electricity bill, she can check with the electricity provider for which unit/address is the bill for. If this is one bill for both properties then she is paying for both the properties.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 15 days ago.

If the electricity provider is not providing these details to her then she would need to get the electricity transferred  in her name.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
She has contacted her provider and they cannot answer this. They have said that there is one supply to the property but she has no idea whether that means to her part or the whole building.
Expert:  Vineet S replied 15 days ago.

If there is one supply and one bill is generated for the whole building then she is paying for the other tenant as well.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Okay I think we are going round in circles here - I will end this chat now thanks - do you know how I cancel my subscription please?
Expert:  Vineet S replied 15 days ago.

If she is not named customer on the electricity bill then electricity provider will not provide any information to her, even if she is paying directly to the supplier.

She would need to get the electricity transferred in her name .

And regarding cancellations, Please note , I am a third party professional and have no control over any payment /refunds /cancellations issues.

Kindly contact Just Answer`s Customers team , by clicking the below weblink-

https://www.justanswer.co.uk/help/contact-us

or via phone call - 0808(###) ###-####/p>

Thank you. Best wishes.