ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
104128041

I have a question about situation I have with a roofer that

Customer Question

Hello I have a question about situation I have with a roofer that I had to cancel
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Basildon Essex
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I just was on phone with him to try to sort refund but it’s not going anywhere
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I mean I can tell the whole situation as he came to my house and offered to fix missing tile on roof i agreed then he went up and said it’s need to be changed more than that price went up I agreed and from that time price went up another 4 times and yesterday price went up by another £2650 so I literally had to stop him in over 2 weeks he only managed to take front roof tiles and nothing else and he haven’t covered roof correctly and we had a leak because of that
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 12 days ago.
Hi welcome to justanswer
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 12 days ago.
I amCustomerone of the legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 12 days ago.
I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need some time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 12 days ago.
If there is anything else you need, please let me know before I respond?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I have already paid him £6237 and the only job he did is he build scaffolding in front of house made a mess with front tiles as he was throwing it down on the grass and nothing else, haven’t saw any materials that he claiming that he bought
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I completely agree scaffold he said it’s 700 I agree to pay that. He’s saying there was 4 people working but it’s not possible as 4 people just managed to take front roof tiles in 2 weeks I completely understand he can claim all his expenses no more than £1000 but the rest of £5237 he have to return
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
As I said for him he can bring all materials to my garden and then I’m happy that this will be deducted but he’s not doing that
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I would like to know my best Option to get my money back
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Basically the price from £420 went up 5 times and latest amount that I had to stop was £10800
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 12 days ago.

Thanks for your patience and enquiry. I am sorry to hear of what has happened. This must all be very distressing for you.You will have to bring a legal action against him to get your money back.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 12 days ago.

To bring a cLaim the law requires for you to first write to him what is called a letter before action. In the letter you should set out your intention to claim, why you are doing so and the amount being claimed. Also in the letter you should set out a timeframe within which he has to amicably resolve the matter, usually 14 days.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 12 days ago.

If he fails to repay within the timeframe, you may issue proceedings against him. You may commence proceedings via the below link

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 12 days ago.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I should send him a letter trough the post?
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 12 days ago.

You may send it by post or by email.