AlisonSolicitor
AlisonSolicitor,
Experience:  Expert
117702753

My wife is Swedish.. She has worked in England for eight

Customer Question

My wife is Swedish. I am English. She has worked in England for eight years. She has been offered a part-time job back in Sweden. We want to live here but for her to work in Sweden (and keep her NHS rights, etc). Presumbly you can’t ‘ be ‘written into’ two countires? Can she be employed in Sweden, paying tax and having healthcare rights there through Swedish NI payments but live here? Thankyou.
JA: Has she talked to a lawyer about this? What country does she live in?
Customer: No. In England.
JA: What steps has she taken so far?
Customer: Investigating…
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Expert:  AlisonSolicitor replied 16 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No

If you work in one EU country and live in another, you are entitled to medical treatment in both countries. Make sure you register in the country where you work and get an S1 form (former E106 form) from your health insurance authority.

This form gives you the right to get healthcare in the country where you live. Based on your insurance, your family members are also entitled to medical treatment if they live in an EU country.

However, if your wife will be a cross-border commuter, living in the UK and working in Sweden, the rest of the family is only entitled to medical treatment there in limited situations, such as for emergency treatment during their stay in Sweden.

Your wife will be entitled to healthcare rights in Sweden while still being a resident of the UK and will not lose her NHS rights.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Sweden will accept an S1 form to cover her healthcare and the UK will honour this even though she is earning and paying tax in Sweden? She is going to work for a church organisation who want her to start her own (presumably sole-trader) business which they can then employ. They are saying they can’t employ her directly as she will be officially living in the UK. Would it be best for her to start a UK business or a Swedish one? (She lived and worked in Sweden before we married 8 years ago)

The S1 is a certificate of entitlement to healthcare if you don't live in the country where you are insured. You should contact your health insurance authority to find the relevant institution issuing the S1.  Submit it to your health insurance authority in your country of residence. They will guide you in what you need to do.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Great. For the moment….Thanks

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Well…She is going to work for a church organisation who want her to start her own (presumably sole-trader) business which they can then employ. They are saying they can’t employ her directly as she will be officially living in the UK. Would it be best for her to start a UK business or a Swedish one? (She lived and worked in Sweden before we married 8 years ago)
Expert:  AlisonSolicitor replied 15 days ago.

Strictly speaking, the Tier 2 General visa is for those who are going to be employed under a sponsor license and you will need to remain in employment during the duration of your visa. That being said, you are allowed to run a business on the side as long as it doesn't interfere with your main business. You will need to pay taxes on both of your incomes and will need to fill out a self-assessment form to calculate your complete tax liability including what you earned from both your employment and self-employment.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.