Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

Want a probable for bank account of a deceased person, The

Customer Question

Hi want a probable for bank account of a deceased person
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: The bank is in UK but the account holder was Canadian resident , her husband wants to access the bank account
JA: What steps has her husband taken so far?
Customer: He is here in UK, he is handicap. He has contacted the HBL Bank and they said he needs probate without it they won't let him have access or information
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: That is all I can tell atm
Expert:  Joshua replied 14 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

Expert:  Joshua replied 14 days ago.

1. may I clarify, are you seeking to obtain the grant of probate in relation to somebody's account with a back who has passed away please?
  2. if that is correct, Mayor confirm if the husband has obtained a grant of probate in Canada in relation to the estate?

Expert:  Joshua replied 13 days ago.

Do you have any further information in respect of the above please?

Expert:  Joshua replied 13 days ago.

I'm following up on the above. Without some further information from you as above, I am limited in what I can say on the matter but in the hope it is helpful nonetheless, I will provide you with the following broad answer. If you are able to kindly provide me with the above further information or if you have any further questions generally, I will be delighted to expand on the following - please just reply back to me in this case:

Notwithstanding the above, in general terms in order to apply for a grant of probate, it is first necessary to establish who the appropriate administrator in relation to the estate would be. This would either be confirmed by virtue of the appointment of an executor if a will was made, or else, is determined by the noncontentious probate rules by way of a strict order of priority which can be found at the following link:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1987/2024/article/22/made

from there, the assets in the estate must be quantified and valued and an estates return prepared in this regard. An inheritance tax return may be necessary depending upon the value of the estate. from there, application can be made the following link:

https://www.gov.uk/applying-for-probate/apply-for-probate

Expert:  Joshua replied 12 days ago.

I hope the above is of some assistance but if you have any further questions, please revert to me.

Expert:  Joshua replied 11 days ago.

I trust the above was of assistance and that you do not have any follow up questions for now. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me though.

Expert:  Joshua replied 11 days ago.

I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favourite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer and see you again in the future I hope.