How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32227
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

My husband has been in a care home, due to dementia.The

Customer Question

My husband has been in a care home, due to dementia.The hospital transferred him to the home for a long term care plan to be created. NHS paid for the first four weeks..
JA: Has your husband talked to a lawyer about this? What country does your husband live in? If different, what country does this legal question relate to?
Customer: No. How do I start to pay the homes invoices? How is our state pension divided. I need advice on what I need to do about our finances please
JA: What steps has your husband taken so far?
Customer: None. I have power of attorney
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am expecting needing to pay as he has more than £25.000
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Joshua replied 14 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

Expert:  Joshua replied 14 days ago.

I'm sorry to read of the above. May I confirm if the local authority has carried out any means assessment test to date in relation to your husband's assets please?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
How do I get my finances sorted out ready for when the care home starts to invoice me. What happens with e.g. Our state pension. Ive had no advice about finance.
Expert:  Joshua replied 14 days ago.

May I confirm if you have applied for care through the local authority or if you have done so privately and directly with a care home excluding the local authority?

Expert:  Joshua replied 14 days ago.

Do you have any further information in respect of the above please?

Expert:  Joshua replied 13 days ago.

I'm following up on the above. Without some further information from you as above, I am limited in what I can say on the matter but in the hope it is helpful nonetheless, I will provide you with the following broad answer. If you are able to kindly provide me with the above further information or if you have any further questions generally, I will be delighted to expand on the following - please just reply back to me in this case:

Notwithstanding the above, in general terms you may need to consider whether your husband will be self funding or eligible for any support from the local authority. this will depend upon a financial means assessment and if this is something that you may wish to explore, and have not orally done so, contact can be made with the local authority's social services department.

there are relatively complex rules that determine which assets can be taken into account in this respect but in general terms, the local authority would be able to take almost all your husband's income into account save for a small amount to take account of spending needs each week and any assets held in his sole name. As regards ***** ***** assets the starting point with be that half of the value can be taken into account however in respect of any jointly owned property a disregard should apply if you are resident in that property. 

Expert:  Joshua replied 12 days ago.

I hope the above is of some assistance but if you have any further questions, please revert to me.

Expert:  Joshua replied 12 days ago.

I trust the above was of assistance and that you do not have any follow up questions for now. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me though.

Expert:  Joshua replied 11 days ago.

I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favourite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer and see you again in the future I hope.