How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vineet S Your Own Question
Vineet S
Vineet S,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4085
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
Type Your Law Question Here...
Vineet S is online now

I have my own company in security and one of the workers

Customer Question

I have my own company in security and one of the workers never turn up. And had to get someone in last minute which costed me more. Can I deduct there wages he is self employed
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I’ve sacked him and his payment is coming up
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Vineet S replied 13 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today. Please note, Just Answer is an information sharing platform in a Q/A format and does not provide legal representation in any form and as such no legal lawyer/client relationship is formed.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

If a phone call is not required then please ignore phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

Please further note , I am a third party professional and have no control over any payment /refunds /cancellations issues.

You can contact Just Answer`s Customers team for any admin issues , by clicking the below weblink- or via phone call - 0808(###) ###-####/p>

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 13 days ago.

Hi there,

If you would be able to deduct the wages from the contractor to cover your loss , would depend on the contract you sign with the contractor.

If it has been stipulated in the contract that if they miss their work then they can be asked to compensate you for your  loss/loss of business /cost for getting substitution, then you can deduct the wages from this contractor.

However, if contractors are not given advance-notice of this provision ,or  notified in the contract that their wages can be deducted if they miss their appointments then you can not deduct the wages now.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 13 days ago.

I trust this helps.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 13 days ago.

In the meantime, thank you for using Just Answers. Best wishes.