How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 17056
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I am a UK citizen and was involved in a court case in the

This answer was rated:

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: HiMy name is***** am a UK citizen and was involved in a court case in the Republic of Ireland which started in 2016.I worked for a company called Arden Forestry Management which turned out to be a scam.I was convinced by my lawyer to plead guilty and he was hoping for a suspended sentence although, unfortunately I was given a custodial sentence and spent a total of 14 ½ months in mainly open prisons in the Republic of Ireland and in the UK as I was successfully repatriated.It is worth mentioning that the main person who started the company and was responsible for the fraud, creating false documents, handling all of the monetary transactions including transferring 1.5m Euros to a bank account in Dubai was a mana by the name of Garret Hevey who had his sentence increased to 6 years.I had to declare bankruptcy as a direct result of the court case as, at the time, it wiped out all of my savings and I was living on a credit card until I was sentenced.I served my time and have since had to start over again after living on benefits for a short while.I recently received a letter from a law firm in Ireland saying that they are now trying to come after me for the money that was involved in the scam and that there is a hearing about this in Ireland on Thursday and that I should be there which I cannot do as I have work commitments and I also cannot leave the country as my mother has motor neurone disease and is currently receiving end of life care in a care home in Haslemere.Can someone please help me work out the best way to deal with this please?ThanksDavid Peile
07514 898 948
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: No, I have not spoken to a lawyer about this. I live in the UK. The question relates to a matter in the Republic of Ireland.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not at this stage. Thanks

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer.

I am one of the legal experts on the site and I am a dual-qualified solicitor (UK & Republic of Ireland)

Thank you for the question, I am reviewing the details now and I will aim to resolve it as quickly as possible for you.

Sorry to hear of the issue.

If you do not attend the hearing then an order will be made in your absence - it means you will not be able to defend the claim being made against you. They will also seek their costs so the best way forwards in my view is to instruct counsel to attend the hearing.

I appreciate that it's only two days away. I am not sure whether the hearing is an interlocutory one or a final hearing.

A letter to the court should be sent to explain your non attendance and copy in the solicitors for the other side. The letter could request an adjournment to another date but bear in mind the lawyers will want their costs if the court agrees (i.e. costs of the hearing on Thursday if the hearing goes ahead).

You can ask a law firm to arrange representation for you - I am not sure which court it is in Ireland but there are law firms near the courts and this may be the best way forwards.

The Law Society of Ireland has useful search facility as follows :

If you would like me to help find one for you, please let me know which court the hearing is taken place at.

I hope this helps

It was a pleasure to assist you today and I hope this answers the question.

If you have any follow up questions or if you would like me to clarify anything I have said, please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Many thanks,


Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question.

I look forward to helping you again soon.

Thanks again,


Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi Jim. This is the letter I received.

Thanks, ***** ***** to be a case management hearing to fix dates - you could reply to the lawyers to say you cannot make it and also send the court a letter to confirm the same. In the letter to the court if you apologies for your non attendance but work commitments abroad means you are unable to attend at such short notice (the lawyer's letter is dated 21st June and the hearing is on the 23rd)

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
OK. Thanks for the advice.
My pleasure, thanks
JimLawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you