12826847

I need advice regarding having driven an unregistered

Hello. I need advice regarding having driven an unregistered untaxed car for ten months, accidentally. I am on a spousal visa in England
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: No I have not. In England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Looked for advice only
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have been driving the French car in the UK since September 2021. It is insured in the UK and has a valid MOT from France. My partner and I were not advised by the immigration expert or the mobility team that we had to register and tax the car immediately on arrival. We thought we had 12 months grace for this, but were mistaken. I need the car to work. I need advice on how to proceed without risking my visa status.
Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today. I am a barrister with over 15 years experience.
What would you like to know please?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hello. I would like to know what steps I should take, and if I am in danger of a criminal conviction, if that would endanger my visa. If possible I'd like to continue driving my car but I could get a UK car instead. I don't want to incriminate myself

I can call in about 10 mins?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Perfect. Thank you
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Can we call later please? I have a work meeting from 11.30-12.00

Yes, no problem.  I have commitments in the middle of the day but I can do early evening?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Ok let's do it now then if that's ok
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I'll phone the meeting

Im sure we can be pretty quick.  Calling now.