How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32222
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

I've recently separated from my partner of 20years, he lived

Customer Question

Hello, I've recently separated from my partner of 20years, he lived with me from 2009 until april 2022, the house is mortgaged and now paid off but in my sole name, can he make a claim against me?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Chatham kent
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: He was asked by myself to leave my property and the relationship has broken down due to his aggressive and anger issues
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: We have a child of 12 years old
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Joshua replied 14 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

Expert:  Joshua replied 14 days ago.

  1. I am sorry to read of the above. May I confirm if you have ever had a formal agreement as regards ***** ***** in the property such as a declaration of trust please?
  2. have you ever made any form of informal agreement as regards ***** ***** equity in the property?
  3. Has your ex-partner ever made any capital contributions towards the property such as capital improvements, payments towards repayment of capital and so on?
  4. If so, have you ever promised any form of equity in the property to him in consideration of any such payments?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
There is no formal agreement, he always said he didnt want anything from my home, yes he paid me monthly towards household Bill's and holidays and upkeep of our son
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I've just paid £44 for the phone call service
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Plz call me***********
Expert:  Joshua replied 14 days ago.

I am sorry I missed your request for a phone call which I note was picked up by one of my colleagues with whom by now I trust you have had a productive conversation and discuss the above matter in detail. To the extent you have any follow-up questions or any issues that were not fully addressed on the phone, please revert to me and I will be happy to assist further.

Expert:  Joshua replied 14 days ago.

I hope my colleague was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favourite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer and see you again in the future I hope.