How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32224
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

How do we go about changing our names to reflect that we are

This answer was rated:

How do we go about changing our names to reflect that we are married same sex male couple?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Skegness in Lincolnshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None as not sure where we go. We both need to renew our passports so thought it was the right time to merge our two names
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Don't think so

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

May I confirm if one of you wishes to change your surname to match the other or if you are looking to  change more than just a surname, such as forename(s) as well please?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Want to change both surnames

I am sorry I missed your request for a phone call which I note has not yet been picked up by one of my colleagues. Unfortunately, you to work commitments I am not able to accept your call request myself but it may yet be picked up by one of my colleagues. If you do not wish to waiting longer, customer services will be more than happy to assist you with a refund in respect of the same. They can be contacted in a variety of ways including telephone, email and chat via the below link or on 0808(###) ###-#### There are also self-service options regarding your membership available from the same below link:

based on what you say above, in terms of changing your names, if you wish to change more than just one of your surnames following marriage, you will need to consider entering into a deed poll. This is something you can prepare yourself or you can instruct a local solicitor to deal with. One of the simplest ways to prepare a deed poll would be by using a inexpensive online service such as the following:

whichever approach you  take in terms of preparing a deed poll, once the deed poll is properly signed and executed by each of you, you can use this vendor subsequently make changes to official government ID such as a driving licence or passport or both and from there, seek to gradually change the name on  other important accounts and documents

Joshua and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you