Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I wanted to know if I did work for a developer and there was

Hi, I wanted to know if I did work for a developer and there was a problem 3 years later am I liable? I was contracted on a day rate and all materials were supplied by him. I don't/didn't have any public liability insurance and he knew that
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Somerset
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: He asked me to rectify the work for free and I've said no. He has now sent a solicitor letter to me making a claim of breach of contractual duty
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not really
Hello, I’m Ben, a solicitor, and it’s my pleasure to assist you. I may ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Do you accept that there were problems with your work? I also wanted to make you aware that this is not always an instant service, due to various legal engagements I could have and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your query and will get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Sure
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Can you try a landline number 01458 273995

Do you accept that there were problems with your work? 

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Problems could be caused by a number of different things

Ok thanks. The lack of insurance simply means that if there is a genuine claim, you will be responsible for it, rather than being able to cover yourself with insurance and use it to pay out any potential claim.

Even if 3 years have passed since the work, you could still be liable now if you did not carry out your work with reasonable care and skill, or to a reasonable standard. A breach of contract claim has a 6-year time limit so the client could potentially make a claim against you within these 6 years after the provision of the services. However, they would have to show that you had failed to carry out the work to a reasonable standard, or in accordance with any terms and conditions that existed between you and them.