How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MARTINT330 Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1701
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
MARTINT330 is online now

My wife and I have a friend who has made a very bad marriage

This answer was rated:

my wife and I have a friend who has made a very bad marriage to a man who is violent, abusive and will not agree to a divorce. There are also young children he is teaching the to use very bad language to their mother. She is Brazilian by birth, and also has American citizenship
JA: What steps have you and your wife/your friend taken? Have they filed any papers in the family court?
Customer: We understand she has been in contact with social services, to find a solicitor to represent her, and apply for legal aid, without any success so far
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you and your wife/your friend live in?
Customer: she lives in Cumbria. my wife and I are not involved other than being a friend who would like to help a lady who is in difficulty
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Do you charge a fee for this advice. Before we proceed any further we feel we should discuss it with our friend

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
She would like to return to her home country where she has family. We think we need to talk to her, and get her to call you if she wishes to. Could you let us know how she can contact you
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
We feel that you could help her, but we need to speak to her in Cumbria, we live in Dorset. We don't feel we should involve he in any expenditure without he agreement. Thank you for helping so far, you have my email if you want to contact me on her behalf, we feel sorry for her, and would like to help her if we can

In that case, I advise her to find somewhere safe to stay, report the violence to the police, get a court order to stop her abusive partner from harming or threatening you, take legal action and get help from a charity or another organisation.

Furthermore, she may contact the followings:

Women’s Aid – She can call them on 0808 2000 247 but when she does call them, make sure her abuser is not around or call them from a safe place. The school runs, going shopping or whenever she is able to make a private call without her partner present is best and safer for her.

Police - The police can help her too and take action too. They take domestic abuse very seriously and will take all necessary action. So if she feels in danger or is concerned for her children’s immediate safety, please call 999.

Refuge – She can also call them on 0808 2000 247 and they support partners and their children if you are in an abusive relationship.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.

MARTINT330 and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** not have any further questions, our friend is contacting Women's Aid. Thank you very much for your help, and I am hopeful they will be able to help her. Thank you very much Martin., sincerelyPaul

No problem. We are always happy to help. Thank you for your enquiry, please do not hesitate to contact us in future.