JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I booked a hire car for collection at Shannon airport on

hello,
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I booked a hire car for collection at Shannon airport on evening of may 23rd. i booked through ryanair website, all very last minute as i was called unexpectedly to a deathbed. on arrival at shannon i discovered that i did not have my drivers licence, and it was after 10pm so unable to contact DVLA as i have done in the past. i therefore did not at any time use the hire car. ryanair customer services have told me by phone that i am not entitled to any refund.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: uk england
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i have spoken to someone at ryanair customer services who basically just shut me down with a no refunds policy statement
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: i don't think so

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer.

I am one of the legal experts on the site and I am a dual-qualified solicitor (UK & Republic of Ireland)

Thank you for the question, I am reviewing the details now and I will aim to resolve it as quickly as possible for you.

Sorry to hear of the issue.

Whilst you are a consumer and have rights, you had a contract to hire the vehicle and the terms will say that you need to provide a valid driving licence. You will need to prove fault on their part for any hope to claim a refund and from reading the question, I am not sure there is a case to be had.

There is no cooling off period for this type of contract either. I would suggest you ask your bank if they can charge back the money - they may be able to if you paid within the last 4 months.

If they can't then I would not recommend you pursue a claim for the refund - mainly because you need a cause of action, such as breach of contract on their part, or breach of your consumer rights.

The T&C's are very likely to say no refunds in this situation - I appreciate this is not a hugely positive answer and as such if you want to ask for a second opinion, you are welcome to do so and it is no extra charge.

If you're unsure how to ask for a second opinion please let customer services know by email :***@******.***.

I hope this helps

It was a pleasure to assist you today and I hope this answers the question.

If you have any follow up questions or if you would like me to clarify anything I have said, please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Many thanks,

Jim

Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question.

I look forward to helping you again soon.

Thanks again,

Jim

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you. I will not attempt to pursue the refund.

No problem, many thanks