AlisonSolicitor
AlisonSolicitor,
Experience:  Expert
117702753

Can I sell my house without my ex husbands permission, Kent,

Can I sell my house without my ex husbands permission
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Kent
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: checked the deeds
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am the brother of the person in question
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
My sister isn't able to explain her situation and so asks me to help in these situations.
She is on the Deeds, he isn't. They have a joint mortgage and is looking to buy him out.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Does she need to ask his permission to buy him out?

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialize in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately, I will respond when I return.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
nope

Unfortunately, I am unavailable for a call at the moment. However, one of my colleagues will receive the request and arrange to call you shortly.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
If you can continue online then that is OK too.

Yes, I will answer your query through chat.

If both of your names are ***** ***** deeds to the property, you can't sell your house without your husband's permission.

Do you have a copy of the deeds that I can review?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Only my sisters name is ***** ***** Deeds
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I will see if I can grab them they are maybe on my other machine
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
File attached (6S6P242)

Please bear with me as I am currently reviewing your attached document. I will return to you shortly.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
sure

Is you ex husband on the mortgage?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
he is.

Being in the mortgage, the ex-husband only has the responsibility to make payments, but it does not make him a co-owner of the property.

This means, your sister is in a position to sell the property even without her ex-husband's permission. However, the ex-husband can block the sale of the property.

He can also apply for home rights and an occupation order to remain in the property.

He may also file a beneficial interest in your home. A beneficial interest in a property gives the ex-husband a financial share in the property, even if he is not a legal owner. This means that he would get a share of any sale proceeds.

Your sister should speak to their mortgage lender about her plans to sell the property.

Is there anything else I can help with today?