TheLawLDN
TheLawLDN, Lawyer
Experience:  Expert
116381621

Team, What could be the consequences if I sent from a

Hi Team,What could be the consequences if I sent from a corporate email address on my personal email address, company's documents without a bad intent ?I read a bit about the law
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: No. I like in United Kingdom.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I talked with my manager about and I was flagged by the company's security team
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No

Hello, I'm an adviser with JA and I will try to help you.

Please note the following:

1. Do not provide personal information/data here. Please note that, under UK General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) ‘personal data’ means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’); an identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person”.
  2. If you request a call, this can be either with me or with another expert that is available to pick your request.
  3. This service is intended for general information only, not advice, and does not include the examination of documents.
  4. JA does not provide legal representation and no client/lawyer relationship of any kind will be established.
  5. If you need (urgent) legal representation or advice, or answering your question requires the examination of documents and/or non-straightforward activity that falls outside the remit of this service, you should consider consulting a solicitor – and/or a barrister as the case may be – which you can look for at the following links:

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

https://www.barcouncil.org.uk/find-a-barrister.html

Hello, I will try to assist with your query.

Can you clarify what kind of corporate documents you sent to your personal email and why you did it?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi - thanks for your reply!As per your questions,- documents related to some projects with client data
- I wanted to work from my personal machine for a project as I found it easier, but I was aware this is not a good practice

How did the company's security exactly "flagged" you? Did they send you a letter?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No, there was a system alert. You can set up alerts in the system for suspicious activity.

Were you flagged automatically or after you spoke with your manager?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
That one generated a form on my end to provide answers 'why I did that', then escalated to my manager, and soon I should be with the HR. The manager hasn't come back yet with the HR's reply
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I contacted my manager when I saw the alert. I did this before but there was no flag, hence my 'comfort' to do it again
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Also while talking with my manager he put words in my mouth, telling me I wanted to steal. He has this bad habit of trying to put a bad light on me. He suggested me to leave a couple of times (although the wider team doesn't have anything against and encourages me to stay) I don't trust him too much, but I know that this time I screw it, and I am accountable for this

In terms of processing the information and data, you certainly broke the rules.

Even assuming it could have been easier for you to work on your machine, you should have asked the authorisation to do that.

Unfortunately, this happened and what you will have to do, once you receive a formal communication, is to clarify/explain that you did it with no intention to break the confidentiality of the data.

However, my advice is that you speak with an employment solicitor so that, if necessary, you have a "defence" ready.

You may also open a new question here when you hear from the HR, but this kind of situations must be assessed by a solicitor also examining the papers.

I hope this information is helpful and I wish you the best.

Please do not hesitate to contact JA again if you need help and you may ask to speak with me directly if you wish.

Regards.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thanks a lot! I appreciate and yes, I'm very aware I broke the rules and this is what I told to my manager too.Once I hear back, and if this escalates I'll definitely come back.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Best.
Best wishes to you.

Please provide a positive rating if you wish so.

Regards.