james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I am a guarntor that has a student who was renting student

Hi i am a guarntor that has a student who was renting student accomodation. However due to concerns for her saftey she had to go back home. She has tried to get another student to replace her however the agency did not accept her request. In additon to this they had an individual living in her room for several months without paying any rent. She highlighted this issue to the agency and they failed to get the person removed and only had the person removed from the property last month however this individual stayed in her room rent free for 3 months. I am requesting that the agency reduces her rent out of good will as they have failed to provide her with support and also grant her requests.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where the property is located?
Customer: Kent
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: not that im aware
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: not to my knowlege
Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and  I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.

As guarantor you would be legally liable to cover any costs that the student has incurred.

However, if there agency is charging you for the property as they can do, but someone else wa using the property for 3 months, then the student you were guarantor for could not have returned and used the property if someone was there.

Therefore is is very reasonable that they deduct the 3 months rent form what is owned for them having someone else use the accommodation.

I would advice that you write to them and make a formal offer on that basis and state that you will consider legal action against them for placing a person in the accommodation that you were liable for with our consent or agreement.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
thank you

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
i have found out that the squatter was in the property from Feburary up until last month . the student notified the agency in feburary

Then as advised, inform the agent that you will pay as is required excluding the period that the "squatter" washer, because your student could not have used the accommodation.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
thank you

your welcome.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.

your welcome.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi Megan,I hope you are well.I understand that Rachel has been in touch with yourselves and has asked if it's possible to use part of her deposit to cover the rent.I am very disappointed with the way that your agency has dealt with this entire issue regarding Rachel's Room.You are all very fully aware that Rachel has not been staying in the property this year due to concerns for her safety. In addition to this, you also failed to promptly remove a squatter from the property and this individual was staying in the property where Rachel notified you on the 2 February 2022 up until 24 May which was only last month, please find the attached email correspondence.On this basis, I believe that out of Good will I think it will be only fair if you remove the amount Rachel owes from the period of (2 February - 24th May 2022) as during this time someone else was living in the room without her express consent. From the email correspondence it is evident that Rachel was happy to pay for the room in her absence however, she was not willing to pay for the room because an unauthorised individual was In the room and as such she would not have been able to use the room during the period of time the squatter remained there. In addition to this you also failed to deal with issues that she raised to you promptly which is evident in the several emails that she sent to yourselves.We are happy to pay the amount owed excluding the period of time the squatter was using the room.If this issue is not resolved, I will be taking legal action on this as I’m as I'm very disappointed with the way things have been handledI look forward to hearing from you soon.Kind regards,Yaa
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
is this good

That looks fine.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
thank you

you are welcome.