How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joy Nicholas Your Own Question
Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2679
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joy Nicholas is online now

I bought a house 1 year ago. My parner moved in. She pays

This answer was rated:

I bought a house 1 year ago. My parner moved in. She pays bills, I pay motgage. We are to split up. She had 1 child under 16 . Where do we both stand legally pleade ?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Burnley, Lancashire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None really
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I pay the motgage
Hi, thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Can I confirm you do not have children together? And who is named as owner of the house?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No children togetger
I am the mortgage holder
Hi, thank you for your message. If you are not married, have no children and she does not own the property jointly she has no right to your property unless she can show a constructive trust as she has contributed to bills. However it has been such a short time this is unlikely to find any ground. I hope this helps. Best wishes
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
She has paid the bills and I have paid the mortgage.
She is now expecting me to pay 1/2 the bills which are joibtly in our names, whilst she remains but doesnt want me to stop there.
What legal rights does she have to stay there whilst she finds somewhere else to live and are her requests treasonable and lawful?
Hi, thank you for your message. If the bills are jointly in your names then you will have to pay half. In terms of staying in the home if she does not own it she does not have rights to stay. You will need to change the bills to your name and ask her to leave. If she does not leave you need a court order. Best wishes
Joy Nicholas and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you for your advice
No problem. Best wishes
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I dont want a call.
Please do not call me orr bill me
that is fine. Please contact customer services directly if there is an issue in regards ***** ***** call. Best wishes
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
How do I start tge process of obtaining a court order to stop my ex partner staying at my house? Hiw long would the process take and what costs would be involved please ?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I would like e mail reply only
Hi, thank you for your message. You will need to evict her by serving an eviction notice on her if she will not move. This can take a few months as she needs at least 2 months notice. I would advise you instruct a solicitor in your area to represent you. Best wishes
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Coukd yourselves not do this for me ?
Is all this viewed as a civil case... even if she effectively is trespassing ?
Hi, thank you for your message. Unfortunately we only work online. Yes you should evict her. Self help is not recommended as she can try to bring a claim against you if she claims she is a tenant as she is paying bills. You can try to ask her to leave and help her find a new place. Maybe she will be more willing to leave then. Best wishes