MatthewM1117
MatthewM1117, Advocate
Experience:  Expert
110754241

Personal Injury. How to prove that an accident has caused

Personal Injury. How to prove that an accident has caused you to lose your job?The employer terminated the contract after 12-13 days of absence from work on the basis of lack of knowledge, but there was no meeting with directors/employees or with the employee to discuss any lack of knowledge. It’s believed that the employer used a lack of knowledge as possibly a false reason to terminate the contract of the employee

Good morning, thank you for contacting Just Answer my name is***** am a practising solicitor with several years experience and I will be assisting you today. Please note that this is a Q and A platform and no lawyer client relationship is created. How long had the employee worked for the company? Were they employed under a contract of employment?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Bizarrely enough, the employee had only worked 1 week under a contract of employment

Thank you, ***** ***** an employee worked for the company for a week had an accident at work and was then dismissed?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The employee worked for the company for 1 week before having their contract terminated. There was reservations about knowledge, but the employer mentioned that this should be met with shadowing other employees, CPD and self learning. After the 1 week of employment, the employee was off sick and during that sick time the employee was involved in a RTA, which caused some injuries. The employer terminated the employees contract on the basis of ‘lack of knowledge’ somewhat 13 days later after the 1st day of absence

Thank you for the clarification, to be able to pursue a claim for unfair dismissal under the Employment Rights Act 1996 an employee must have been employed continuously for two years. In these circumstances, the employee is unable to pursue the company for unfair dismissal, most employers are well versed in the legislation and will often dismiss an employee with less than two years service for rather minimal issues.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The issue is how can it be proved that due to the RTA the employee lost their job with the employer. The employers claim ‘lack of knowledge’ is unfounded

The only way to prove this would be to take the matter to tribunal, however the employee is unable to pursue that a claim for unfair dismissal due to his level of service.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
what can be done?

Regrettably there is very little that can be done (as the employer is probably aware). You could try to pursue for breach of contract if the employee was not given any notice however this would depend on the terms of the contract.

Do you have any follow up questions?

Hopefully I have answered your questions but if anything remains unclear please do not hesitate to contact me further.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok thanks for your help
Glad to be off assistance, we wish you all the best going forwards.