james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

Can I hear my fathers will read? Oxfordshire, My step Mum

Can I hear my fathers will read?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Oxfordshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: My step Mum has power of attorney and doesn’t want me to hear the will. She said it’s a personal document
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: just that I would like to find out how to be able to hear the reading of the will, but I don’t have any solicitor information at all.
Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and  I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you. It’s a very difficult situation and I just don’t know what to do. My Step Mum made it very clear that my Father didn’t leave me anything - I don’t think he had anything to leave. But I would very much like to know what his wishes and requests were.

It is actually quite rear for a will to be formally read out in a solicitors office these days. There is no legal requirement for that to happen.

If the executors of the will wish for that to take place then that can arrange for that to happen, they would decide who can and cannot attend the reading.

You would be Abe to find out the contents of the will once probate has been granted, as the will then becomes a public document.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok thank you. If I am not an executor of the will how will I know when probate has been granted?

You would either need to ask the executor, or check with the probate office.

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Is there a set period of time I need to wait before I contact the probate office?

You can check online to see if it has been granted. Approx 8 weeks or so,

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.