Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I’ve been hit with an email saying I owe this website money

Hi I’ve been hit with an email saying I owe this website money and it was a subscription and I stopped paying the subscription by getting my bank to block them. I just thought subscriptions just cancel if you don’t pay the next charge?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Surrey
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i Just deleted the emails
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Ermm on the website it was impossible to unsubscribe that’s why I had the bank block them
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The website is C-Date

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

1. I am sorry to read of the above. May I confirm if you contacted the company to cancel your subscription please or if you just cancelled payment with your bank and took no other action to cancel your subscription?
  2. How much is being claimed?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I just had the bank cancel payments because I looked up reviews and they said they were scammers, and I can’t really remember how much it’s was I think £60 maybe.

Thank you. Cancelling payment at your bank or credit card provider at does not amount to a notice of cancellation in respect of the service and the service itself will continue despite the above action. Normally, terms and conditions will allow a service provided to terminator service where payment is in default but it is not an obligation. As such if the service provider has not by now notified you of termination of the service due to default of payment, you may wish to consider giving notice of cancellation to be clear that charges are no longer accruing.

In terms of the claim that has been made, unless you can demonstrate that service was not supplied as agreed under the terms of the contract, then on the face of it, in the absence of any notice of cancellation, that claim would be legitimate. However, the extent to which realistically they will pursue such a claim given the amount involved, and given the company in question is based in Luxembourg, is relatively doubtful as the costs of pursuing the claim would likely exceed the benefit

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Here’s a photo of the first thing that came up as soon as I logged in
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Would you recommend I just pay it it save hassle?

Unless you wish to use the service again, I suspect it is unlikely they will take a substantive action in terms of collection activities beyond some follow up email demands. However if you are concerned the matters are escalating, then it is open to you to contemplate making an offer of settlement

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok I think I’ll wait for a final notice and see if the charge goes up, thank you for the help

I'm glad the above answers all your questions for now. If you have any follow up questions please revert to me.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Will do cheers ***** *****

I'm very glad the above was of some assistance

I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favourite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer and see you again in the future I hope.