ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
104128041

My son is an epileptic and his condition is managed by

My son is an epileptic and his condition is managed by medication. Six or so months ago he started to have sleeping fits but was Ok during the day. His Consultant & DVSA were informed and he was cleared to continue to work / drive as his new medication brought it under control so he is now Ok again. His Driving License was due to expire so he declared this on his form and now has been sent a letter by the DVSA to say he cant drive, meaning he cant work as he is a mobile maintenance engineer. He has lodged an appeal at the local Magistrates Court and is waiting for them to process this / ask him to appear but we need some guidance please on what we can do to speed this up so he can get back to work. His Company are being understanding for now bit we are not sure how long this may be tolerated because the Magsitrates Court have advised it could be six months, in which case he may well lose his job and also not be able to pay his mortgage (although we are checking his documents to see if his insurance covers this situation). is there anything we can do to speed up the process please?
JA: Where is your son? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Hi Pearl, he lives in Atherton, it comes under Wigan
JA: What steps has your son taken so far?
Customer: He has sent his letter to the court and they have acknowledged it has been received but it will be a few weeks before they process anything. He is looking at his Mortgage policy and work have advised him in the short term to see if he can apply for an office based job so we are trying what we think.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I cant think of anything else Pearl
Hi welcome to justanswer
I am Readylaw one of the legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation.
I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need some time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you.
If there is anything else you need, please let me know before I respond?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Not at the moment, just some guidance on what we should do to try and speed things along, if at all possible
Thanks for your patience and enquiry. Unfortunately I do not have much in terms of good news in relation to this. I have no means by which I could suggest t9 have this matter dealt with much quicker.

The case has to be allocated to be near. And, unfortunately, he would not be able to request an earlier date save writing to the court expressing the need for urgency, which, by all accounts he has already done.

as an aside, although you have not asked specifically. I do recommend that he gets some medical evidence which confirms his ability to work. This means, he needs a letter from his GP confirming that this medical condition will not affect his ability to drive.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you for the updates, he has already sent a letter to the court from his Consultant at the hospital to advise he can drive so that is good to know we have done the right thing there as well. I just wanted to know if there is anything we should say when it gets to the magistrate, will they look for anything further?

You are welcome. No they do not require anything further. The most salient thing would be the medical evidence. I recommend that he writes to them again expressing the effect this is having on work and the likelihood of him becoming unemployed. Ask the, in the letter to exercise their discretion to allow for this to be scheduled sooner.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you - we will do that as well - thank you for all your help, it is very much appreciated - thank you

You are welcome.