Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

My landlady tried to enter my house with her own set of

Hi Pearl,
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: My landlady tried to enter my house with her own set of keys.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I was not very happy about it so I changed the locks. I live in London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I changed the locks and didn't give her a double of my keys.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Thank you Pearl

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

1. I am sorry to read of the above. May I confirm if there is any provision in the tenancy agreement that allows the landlord to access the property for the purposes of inspection following service of a notice please?
  2. did the landlady serve any prior notice upon you before entering the property or attempting to do so?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I read my tenancy agreement very carefully and nothing authorises her to use her key to my door.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I would prefer to talk over the phone so I can take notes on my computer at the same time if you don't mind
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi Joshua, Is my landlady or partner allowed to open my door unexpectedly like this?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
How long before my phone call if you don't mind me asking?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Don't worry I'm waiting, but my husband would like to be there to listen
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
My husband left anyway. He's gone to work. Did you get my number right?

I am sorry I missed your request for a phone call which I note was picked up by one of my colleagues.

I am very sorry to read that my colleague may not have been able to make contact with you yet. Sadly I'm not able to call you myself as it was not me that picked up your call request but rather it was one of my colleagues. However customer services will be more than happy to assist you with reaching out to my colleague or alternatively, with a refund as you prefer. They can be contacted in a variety of ways including telephone, email and chat via the below link or on 0808(###) ###-####

https://www.justanswer.com/help/contact-us

I am happy to continue to assist here in chat if you would like.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Reading my question, can you help me?

1. Certainly. Did the landlady serve any prior notice before attempting access?
  2. Did you challenge her regarding her attempting to gain access? Did she offer any explanation?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Okay
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
What time will the solicitor call?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
What's his name?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
1. She did not text, send me a letter, or tell me face to face.
2. She was embarrassed when I opened the door because I was still in my bathrobe, so the conversation was cut short.
3. My husband was still in bed and would have gone a bit mad about this situation.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
2. The explanation she gave was she was trying her keys to see if they worked. I heard it from my bathroom and was scared to death. I saw it was her through the glass hole but I was mortifide

Thank you. As a tenant you enjoy a covenant for quiet enjoyment in relation to the property during your tenancy. This means that a landlord cannot interfere with or derogate from your tenancy rights which would include accessing the property without your permission. There are also criminal offences attached in this respect under the Protection Against Eviction Act.

In some tenancies there will be provisions to enable access subject to minimum notice being provided beforehand for the purposes of inspection but in this case from what you say no such provision is present and in any event, no notice was served beforehand.

As such it is within your rights for you to change the locks if the landlord is attempting to access the property without authority which amounts to a breach of contract in itself. It will ordinarily be a breach of tenancy for you to change the locks but the landlord cannot complain of a breach if they themselves have breached the contract so as to make your breach proportionate and reasonable

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks Joshua

I'm glad the above was of some assistance.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Some other guy just called me and made me feel quite dumb.
I need to read the Deem Harassment Protection Of Eviction Act 1977
and the Housing Act 1988
What Is this all about?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I have a degree in literature but I don't know about the law in England

I am sorry to read of the above. I hope you have had the opportunity to read my written answer above. If you have any further questions in relation to this please of course let me know.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I don't know who called me but he sounded like he didn't have anytime to help me

I am very sorry to read of the above. Sadly I'm not able to call you myself as it was not me that picked up your call request but rather it was one of my colleagues. However customer services will be more than happy to assist you with reaching out to my colleague or alternatively, with any concerns you have in relation to the Frankel service you received. They can be contacted in a variety of ways including telephone, email and chat via the below link or on 0808(###) ###-####

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you Joshua

I'm glad the above answers all your questions for now. If you have any follow up questions please revert to me.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I was not so happy with the service I received. The person I spoke to was quite impatient and didn't listen to the issues I am having.
I am very sorry to read of the above. Customer services will be able to assist with any concerns you have in regards ***** ***** phone call service from.my colleague. I hope nevertheless the above written response was of some assistance
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
It was not relevant at all
I am sorry to read of the above. I am happy to assist with any follow up questions you would like to raise.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I was not happy to wait so long for a phone call to be given articles to read as I paid for a service.
Please feed this back to customer services who will be able to assist in this respect