How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 78232
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I broke my collar bone last week at home and I've run out of

This answer was rated:

I broke my collar bone last week at home and I've run out of paid sick days so I am being paid SSP. I'm worried about paying my rent and don't know if I am able to claim any help at all?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Derbyshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I went to the job centre and they recommended you
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't think so
Hello, I’m Ben, a solicitor, and it’s my pleasure to assist you. I may ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.

I am sorry to learn of the injury you have sustained and I understand you have run of SSP and are wanting to know what financial assistance is available to you. Can I just check if your employer provides their own company sick pay at all?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
It does and it goes on length of service. Unfortunately I have already used it. I only need to know if I can claim any benefits. Can you cancel the call back please

OK I understand and thank you for providing this information. Unfortunately I am not available for a phone call at present. However, please do not worry as your request is open to all experts and if someone else is free they will call you. For now, leave it with me and I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, usually the same day. The system will notify you when this happens. Many thanks.

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Apparently I have had 2 calls to my number but they go straight to answer phone. Refund the £44 and get them to email me

Hi there. I am an independent user on this site, in the same way as you are, which means that unfortunately I have no involvement in the billing side of things. If you need to query anything to do with billing, charges or membership, you may be able to take certain actions by going to your account on this site. Alternatively, please contact the site’s customer service team directly. You can find their contact details by following this link: Hopefully, they will resolve any issues you have to your satisfaction.

In the meantime, I will get back to you at the earliest opportunity. Many thanks

Many thanks for your patience, it is appreciated. I am now pleased to be able to provide further assistance with your query. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues brought up by this. It must be a frustrating situation to be going through.

If you have run out of company sick pay, then there is not much you van expect from the employer as they will have no legal obligation to pay you any more than SSP, unfortunately.

In terms of third-party help that may be available to you, the only other option is potential benefits.

What Government benefits a person is entitled to will very much depend on their personal circumstances and there are various factors which are taken into consideration. As all of these interplay with each other in various ways to determine their eligibility, it is best to go through an online benefits calculator, which would take all relevant factors into consideration.

The most commonly used calculators are the following:

The following details wilk be required to get an answer through these:

- savings

- income, including your partner’s

- existing benefits and pensions (including anyone living with you)

- outgoings (such as rent, mortgage, childcare payments)

- council tax bill

Once the results have been determined, there will be details on what may be claimed and how.

The alternative is to approach your local JobCentre Plus, which can discuss benefits with you and what the options are:

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you

You are most welcome. If you have any further questions about this, please do not hesitate to get back to me and I will be happy to help. All the best.