How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32231
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

My mother in law was a tenant in common with her husband.

This answer was rated:

My mother in law was a tenant in common with her husband. When he died he left his half share of the property to his two children in his will. They have now applied to the land registry for change to the names of tenants in common. Their solicitor is now asking my mother in law to pay towards the cost of this change. Is this correct?
JA: Where are they? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In england
JA: What steps have they taken so far?
Customer: They have applied to land registry to change the name from their father to their names. Their solicitor has now sent a letter to my mother in law telling her that the deeds have been updated and requesting that she pays towards the change
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

I'm sorry to read of the above. From what you say, do I understand correctly that the beneficiaries are seeking that your mother-in-law contributes towards their legal costs associated with transferring the property into their names please?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thet is correct
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Sorry no phone

thank you. There would be no liability for your mother-in-law to pay the beneficiaries costs in this respect unless she has instructed the solicitor in question jointly with them. Otherwise, the instruction constitutes a contract as between the beneficiaries and their solicitor and the associated costs are a matter for them

Customer: replied 13 days ago.

I'm glad the above answers all your questions for now. If you have any follow up questions please revert to me.

I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favourite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer and see you again in the future I hope.

Joshua and other Law Specialists are ready to help you