james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

Housing, Birmingham B67, I called the Citizen Advice Bureau

Housing
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Birmingham B67
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: I called the Citizen Advice Bureau but the local advisers are not available
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The Landlord give us 15 days notice of rent increase pursuant of the renew of the agreement
Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and  I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

The landlord can of course increase the rent as long as they follow the correct procedures.

I have attached the government info on this matter, and as you can see, a minimum of a months notice is required. https://www.gov.uk/private-renting/rent-increases

Therefore I would advice that you speak to the landlord show him this information and advice them f the legal minimum requirement.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hello James, thanks. The agreement also states under the voice "notices": "Such notice, when served by the Landlord, should not expire not less than two months after the same shall have been served by the Tenant".
Does it means that he needs to respect a two months notice?

Yes, the minimum is a month, if the tenancy agreement has wording specifying a longer period, then that is contractually binding on the landlord.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.

You are very welcome.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hello, Mr. Bruce. They did not ask for apologies today. They said that the notice voice that I started from the Agreement has nothing to do with the rental review, and quoted back "It is agreed that the rent as defined in this Agreement will be reviewed on the anniversary of this Tenancy and upon each subsequent anniversary in line with the change in the Retail Prices Index (RPI) for the previous 12 months and the rent varied accordingly either by way of an upward or downward adjustment."Which does not speak about notice. I called them and they insisted they did nothing wrong and purposed us to sign for July a rolling agreement of 1 month at the current amount, and they will notify us today about the increase that will take effect from Aug the 1st.I forgot to let you know that until now we did not have any formal notice, but only an email, regarding the increase.Can they do that? I think they suppose to respect the agreement and give us time until Sept
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Can you also give me a quote in case we need to take further action? Thanks

Yes the rent review can happen on the anniversary.

The required notice is as per the link I attached before.

Sorry I cannot  give a quote, you would need to instruct a local firm if you need to take action.

It may be helpful to instruct a local solicitor who specialises in this area of law. You can find a local firm using the Law Society website. www.lawsociety.org.uk

Once on that website, you can click on the find a solicitor option located just above the Law Society logo. Select quick search, then select the area of law required and enter your post code. A list of local firms will then be displayed.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hello, did you call me? I have received a call, but the recorded voice said "you can just hang up, goodbye"

Sorry no that was not me. Another expert may have accepted the call and is attempting to call you.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
All right thanks

Your welcome.