How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7572
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

Is anybody there? ok, ill try explain basically i sold a

This answer was rated:

hello. is anybody there?
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: ok, ill try explain basically i sold a client a outdoor building, that needed to be built. i hired an external installation company to do this. However the customer is claiming that the company did not build it correctly and finish the job properlyHe has now said to me that he wants compensation for the work. He wants the money he paid for the installation plus 50% money back of the price of the cabin which altogether is around £6500. He claims this is because he will need it to get someone else to finish the work and fix the damage.I went back to the installers with this and they said that the job was not finished because the parts for the building were incorrect or damaged in the first place and therefore didnt fit together. They do not think that they did bad work and it was the parts that were wrongHowever the customer has said he has got an independant building team to inspect the work, and says that the building was not put up correctly in the first place, so some of the parts would not have fitted together anyway due to the inaccurate job they didThe original installation team is willing to go back in and complete some of the remaining work, but the customer is insistant that the whole thing needs to come down and then rebuiltas mentioned, the customer is now saying he is going to take me to court and has given me little time to fix the issues.What do i do now?Shall i just give him the money in compensation he is asking?
Make a claim against the installers for bad work?
Shall i just go to court
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: as above
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: not really
Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and  I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter. 

You can try and negotiate with the customer and the builders to see if the customer will have them back and for the builders to remove and rebuild from scratch.

However, if they have done a substandard bodge it and leg it job n the work it would not be surprising that the customer would not want them back.  I would have thought the builders would have reported to you the fact parts were wrong / damaged rather than do what they have done.

It may be more costly but it may be a better option to work with the customer and refund, obtain a copy of their independent report first of all to show the issues etc, then refund and then sue the builder.

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thanks for this . Just so i understand. Obtain the independant report from the customer, Refund the customer and then sue the builderBut sue the builder for what exactly? The amount that i paid for them to build it or more then thatBasically the customer paid around £11k for the building including installation .He says he wants around 6.5k as compensationI paid the builder around £2k to build it. Therefore even if i get the 2k from the builder, i have still lost around 4.5k for something that they did

You would sue the builder for your losses due to their poor work. If some parts have been damaged then that costs.

james bruce and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
hello. Last thing. so i will pay the customer the money he has requested, but what do i need to put in place before he gets the money. I.e, i want to put in place an agreement that after i pay the money he will not try and claim anything else or message me about anything related to it. Basically after i pay the money i want no more part of it. Is there a template or some document i can use to do this please

You could use a compromise agreement. This is a written agreement that you will pay the amount requested in exchange for an undertaking that they consider that full and final settlement and will tae no further action against you.

You can write such an agreement your self or a local solicitor could do that for you.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
thanks. do you know where i can get a good one from(or a template) that i can do myself

I would suggest you look on line, or possible somewhere like WH Smiths , they tend to sell a range of pre written template legal documents .

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
ok thanks very much for your help

your welcome.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
is this something you could knock up quite quickly for a price? i am searching but dont see anything suitable

Sorry that is not something I will able able to offer.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
no problem. Thanks again

Your welcome.