MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

Can I sell the home that I am proprietor of? Scotland, Just

Can I sell the home that I am proprietor of ?
JA: What are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Scotland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Just that I am proprietor I can’t see my name on title deeds My parents gifted home to me All I have written is my name as propietor
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately, I will respond when I return.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Yes, it is entirely possible, however it will mean taking on some of that role yourself. Make sure to handle the entire process carefully because it is a large financial and legal transaction.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Can you be more specific

You will need to arrange viewings for interested buyers yourself. Speak to them and agree on a time that is convenient to you before they come to see your house. Before entering into negotiations with a buyer, make sure you have decided on the lowest price you will drop to. This does not need to be the advertised asking price.

First you need to work out the right valuation for your house, which is how much you would reasonably like it to sell for.

Then, you need to get an Energy Performance Certificate before you put your property on the market, so it is worth getting this done before you start advertising your home. You will need to get a registered energy assessor to compile this for you.

Then, you must find a way to advertise the property yourself.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I intend to sell the property through an estate agent What I want to know iis do I have the same legal rights as an owner ?

The proprietorship section shows the current registered proprietor. This is likely to be the current owner. It will explain any special arrangements of how the property is owned. It may also contain information on how to transfer the property in the event of the death of one of the proprietors.

In order to determine that you would need to check the deeds.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.