Vineet S
Vineet S,
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
60556257

I have a dispute with energy provided Igloo which bankrupt

I have a dispute with energy provided Igloo which bankrupt and does not exit anymore. They supply me with an energy only for free summer months when my energy usage suddenly soared from 500 kWh a month to 3500 kWh a month. They did not complete a dispute and pass my £1350 debts to debt collectors. They also don’t care that I was cheated and ripped off by Igloo and demand payment. What can I do? How can I protect myself?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in Cardif. CF110JN small two bedrooms apartment in a block of flats
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I only exchanged correspondence with them providing them with previous bills to prove that my energy usage soared 6 folds in the same time of previous year
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I think that’s it. Thanks

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today. Please note, Just Answer is an information sharing platform in a Q/A format and does not provide legal representation in any form and as such no legal lawyer/client relationship is formed.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

If a phone call is not required then please ignore phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

Please further note , I am a third party professional and have no control over any payment /refunds /cancellations issues.

You can contact Just Answer`s Customers team for any admin issues , by clicking the below weblink-

https://www.justanswer.co.uk/help/contact-us or via phone call - 0808(###) ###-####/p>

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Hi there,

Could you please confirm if you made a written compliant to your energy provider regarding this bill , using their internal complaint procedure?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I made a complaint by email. I was not informed about any other procedure. They kept replying to me until Igloo was closed due to bankruptcy. Then debt collector contacted me

If some other  new energy provider has taken over the customers from Igloo?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok. I am waiting for your call

Please note, online chat and phone call are two different services.

I am not available at the moment for a phone call but other experts are free to contact you as the call request is open to all experts. If you would like to cancel the call and the charge, please contact Just Answer`s Customers team , by clicking the below weblink-

https://www.justanswer.co.uk/help/contact-us

or via phone call - 0808(###) ###-####/p>

Could you please confirm If some other new energy provider has taken over the customers from Igloo?

First of all , get back to the debt collector to suspend their activity while the account is in dispute.

And you can escalate your complaint to the Energy Ombudsman

You can make your complaint to Energy Ombudsman online, using the below weblink-

https://www.ombudsman-services.org/complain-now

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
E.on took over in October 2021 . Igloo supplied me only from 28 June till 2 October 2021
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Energy Ombudsman refer me to Citizen Advice saying they don’t deal with it
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
E.on is my new supplier from October 2021

So, you need to make a written complaint to E.on , as they have taken over your account.

They need to decide on the accounts including where there is ongoing dispute between customers and Igloo.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Oh ok thank you for your advice. Is it anything else I can do now to avoid collections by debt collectors or downgrading my credit score by them?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
From Collections Team <*****@******.***> on 23-06-2022 09:27
Details Plain text
A picture containing drawingDescription automatically generated
Ethan Evans
6 Caldey Island House
Ferry Court
Cardiff
CF110JN
Barratt Smith & Brown Legal Services
Finanza House, Suite E Best House
Grange Business Park,
Enderby Road, Leicester, LE8 6EP
Dear Ethan Evans,
Igloo Energy Supply Limited (in administration)
Amount of Claim: £1,108.82
We act on behalf of the administrators for the aforementioned energy company. Despite our previous correspondence, we are yet to receive payment of your overdue final bill.
As a result of your failure to satisfy your legal obligations, we have been instructed to progress this matter either through the courts or by instructing doorstep collections, if payment is not received in full within 7 days, both means of collection will affect your credit rating.
Ways to pay
1. By Bank Transfer to Barclays Bank PLC - Sort code 20-49-08, Account Number: 03083160, Account Name: Barratt Smith Brown. All transfers should have the customer account number added to the “notes / reason” field.
2. By Credit/Debit Card – The BSB Payments Team on 0116(###) ###-####
3. VIA our online payment portal - PAY HERE
.
If payment is not received within the time stated, this matter will be progressed using the appropriate channels. No further notice will be given. In addition to the principal sum already due, court fees, legal costs and interest will be incurred and payable by you. For the avoidance of doubt, the tendering of the above sum in full and final settlement will not be sufficient after the above deadline has expired.
Please address any further communication on this matter to this office, quoting the reference above. If this matter has already been queried with us, please disregard this letter.
Yours faithfully
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
That was an email received today from the debt collectors

As the debt collection agency that the account is in dispute and you can forward them a copy of your ongoing complaint or they can check it with the energy provider. you can refer the to section 10 of Data Protection Act to  to cease processing any data in relation to this account with immediate effect. This means they must remove all information regarding this account from your records while the account is in dispute and stop reporting it to credit referencing agencies.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you so much. It is very helpful

You are welcome.

Thank you for using Just Answers. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thanks again. All the best to you!

Kind regards ***** ***** a good one.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
You called me when case was sorted out by chat by one of your solicitors. Please cancel my payment. You called me too late when case was closed
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I can not pay for the same advice already received by chat

Kindly note, I am not available for call  and have not called you.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Don’t call me. You have already provided me with an advice via chat

Please  further note , I am a third party professional and have no control over any payment /refunds /cancellations issues.

Kindly contact Just Answer`s Customers team for any admin/payment issues , by clicking the below weblink-

Kindly note, I am not available for call and have not called you or trying to call you.

You need to get in touch with customer care to cancel the call, if someone else is trying to contact you via a phone call.