AlisonSolicitor
AlisonSolicitor,
Experience:  Expert
117702753

I am being made redundant and I wanted to check my rights,

Hello, I am being made redundant and I wanted to check my rights
JA: Was this retaliation? Or based on age, race, religion, gender, or disability?
Customer: They are making my role redundant and I do not think its anything to do with me personally
JA: What kind of workplace is this (private sector, public sector, etc.)? How many employees?
Customer: I have one issue. I was promoted over a year ago and I was made a department head. Some of my team that I hired were put on two months notice. I was on one months notice. Over slack I discussed with my HR director that I was uncomfortable being on one month and people who report to me are on two. It was agreed that i would be put on 3 month notice However the records were not officially updated and know I only get one months notice
JA: Where are you located? Workplace termination laws vary by location.
Customer: UK - London
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am 41 years old and I believed that I would be paid 1.5 weeks pay which would be around 1,700 over 3 years, however its capped at a max of 550 per year of service. When I looked online I could not find a mention of any caps also my last payment would be taxed, I thought redundancy was untaxed up to 30k

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The process is that my redundancy is confirmed tomorrow and then i do two weeks handover and then I am made redundant but do not need to work my notice. During the two weeks handover should I be able to attend interviews as long as I work my contractual hours?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you for helping

Have you spoken again with HR about putting on paper your agreement of a 3-month notice?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have it in writing in slack. I did mention it put didn’t push HR as legally I didn’t know where I stand
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have not asked them to put it in writing.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Should I ask for the entire process including our message exchange over slack to be put into writing?
you can go to HR and ask for them to enforce the agreement of you having a 3-month notice, instead of just the 1-month notice.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok. I didn’t push HR on this as I was worried what they company might do. When I asked about the 3 months the HR director just said it was one month. I didn’t then Push the 3 months as I didn’t know what the rules are. As I’ve got it in writing on slack. HR didn’t send me an official letter or amend my contract, I only have it in writing in slack between me and the HR director. I have shared the screen shot of the conversation with my line manager

Are you amenable to the 1-month? or would you like to push the 3-month notice?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I’d like 3 months. I’m head of product and head of product roles take longer to find. I would like 3 months as that’s what I thought was agreed. I accept that I’ve been stupid and not chased the official letter

Can you tell me how long you've been employed by the company?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Over 3 years perm.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Based in the U.K.

Have you checked your Contract of Employment to see how long the notice period should be given to you?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
It’s one month

It was the HR director who agreed to the 3-month notice, I would assume that he has authority to extend the notice period because he would not do so if he doesn't.

You can go again to the HR Director and bring with you the conversation in Slack wherein he agreed to extend your notice to a 3-month period.  You can insist that this agreement be in writing and change the 1-month period in your contract to a 3-month period.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have asked HR for the details. I only fear the reaction of my CEO.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thanks for your help. I will message once HR reply

No problem. Thank you for your enquiry today, please do not hesitate to contact us in future if you have further enquiries.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.