How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MARTINT330 Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1689
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
MARTINT330 is online now

I am married to a European lady for the last 11 years and

This answer was rated:

Hi there
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I am married to a European lady for the last 11 years and she is my sponsor upon which I got my indefinite leave in the UK last year. Now she wants a divorce on the basis of unfaithfulness. Please what will happen from now on with my status
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: Not yet and I leave in England
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: Not at all
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: She just told me she has reported to UK boarder force that she is no longer my sponsor

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Generally, divorce after indefinite leave to remain (ILR) does not mean you have to leave the UK – ILR is a form of settled status independent of your partner and divorce will not affect you to enter or stay in the UK.

If you have been granted indefinite leave to remain, divorcing your partner will not impact your settled status and you can stay or enter in the UK independently.

However, you must tell the Home Office when you divorce or separate from your partner if your visa is based on your relationship.

You must then either apply to stay in the UK or leave.

Your visa is based on your relationship if you have permission to stay in the UK for a limited time as:

  • a dependant on your partner’s UK visa

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks. As of now I have indefinite leave to remain in the UK. Though she has not started the divorce. Is my indefinite not going to be cancelled

No, a divorce will not impact your indefinite leave to remain.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.

MARTINT330 and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Very much appreciate your inputs. Pls since she has kick me out of her house ,do I have to inform the UK's boarder services or I have yo wait until after the divorce in the event we could not reconcile.

You will have to inform the Home Office once you get divorced. You can use this guide in telling the Home Office and send it to: *****@******.***