How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 17078
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

My daughter has been given notice of proceeding against

This answer was rated:

My daughter has been given notice of proceeding against which arise from an rta which occured on 6th October 2019. at the time she was summonsed top appear in court and recieved a fine and nine points.
JA: Where is your daughter? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps has your daughter taken so far?
Customer: London
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: My daughter has received a notice of proceeedings arising from an rta which occurred on 6th October 2019
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
letter forwarded
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Claim form
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Currently the letter and summons received have the wrong name for my daughter Lois. Her surname is ***** ***** not Braydin-Platt as stated.
Is she still covered by the car insurance she had in force at the time of the claim?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
My daughter hasn't taken any steps in response to this as yet as she has only just received the notice. She is trying to contact her insurer Esure.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer.

I am one of the legal experts on the site and I am a dual-qualified solicitor (UK & Republic of Ireland)

Thank you for the question, I am reviewing the details now and I will aim to resolve it as quickly as possible for you.

Sorry to hear of the issue.

Your Daughter needs to pass those documents to her insurer (who insured her at the time of the accident in October 2019) as soon as possible.

If she was insured, they will indemnify her for this claim - so you need to contact the insurer right away and pass the documents to the insurer to deal with. Your daughter is named in court proceedings as she was a driver involved in this accident, so it's perfectly normal.

They have to issue the claim within 3 years of the accident date hence why they have done this now. To ensure the claim is not time-barred.

All she has to do is to pass the documents to Esure now. She shouldn't need to be involved in the claim after that.

And if she had cover at the time - yes, she is covered.

She can reply to the solicitors to give details of who her solicitors were at the time - but the key is for you or your daughter to notify Esure now and ask them where to send the papers.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok thanks Jim, that’s reassuring. So she’s not liable personally?

No, as if she had cover at the time - the insurer will pick up the bill for damages and costs. She is not personally liable

(obviously it's worrying when you see your  name on court documents but the insurer will deal with everything. She has to be named in the claim as she was a driver so it's perfectly normal, don't worry).

I hope this helps

JimLawyer and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

It was a pleasure to assist you today and I hope this answers the question.

If you have any follow up questions or if you would like me to clarify anything I have said, please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Many thanks,


Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question.

I look forward to helping you again soon.

Thanks again,


Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thankyou once again

My pleasure, thanks