JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I made a new Will through my accountant. He said he could do

Hi . I made a new Will through my accountant . He said he could do this as he has good relations with a firm of solicitors who would write it for me . The accountant sent me a large bill which l paid straight away . Then l got another bill from him . It was a bill addressed to the accountant from the solicitors . The accountant expects me to pay this . It is not addressed to me and on top of what l have already paid it seems extreme . Am l responsible for paying this bill ?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none . I’ve just been thinking about it
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer.

I am one of the legal experts on the site and I am a dual-qualified solicitor (UK & Republic of Ireland)

Thank you for the question, I am reviewing the details now and I will aim to resolve it as quickly as possible for you.

Sorry to hear of the issue.

I don't see that you are as there is no contact between you and the solicitors, unless I am mistaken. The accountant facilitated your new will and they recommended a solicitor - you paid the accountant's bill in relation to the will and that should be it as far as I am concerned.

The accountant should have been transparent about charges here - they were not as you paid a bill thinking that was all you had to pay. Not the further bill. I recommend that yoiu raise this and unless they agree to bear the cost, you make a formal complaint to them, and if that doesn't resolve matters contact the regulatory body (who regulates the accountants) to see if they can assist.

At the heart of this dispute is the fact you are a consumer. You have consumer rights and the service the accountant carries out must be as described and carried out with reasonable care and skill. The price needs to be as described too. The Consumer Rights Act 2015 gives you protection if things go wrong, which they have as you are now faced with two sets of costs for one will.

I hope this helps

It was a pleasure to assist you today and I hope this answers the question.

If you have any follow up questions or if you would like me to clarify anything I have said, please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Many thanks,

Jim

Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question.

I look forward to helping you again soon.

Thanks again,

Jim

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you Jim .
This is what l thought so it’s good to have confirmation of this before l do any thing else .
Sally

Hi Sally, yes, I would say it's a conduct issue on the accountant's - I realise they are in business to make money but there has to be a limit and as a consumer, you have strong protection in this scenario.