MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

My Grandson (15) has just been suspended from school along

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: My Grandson (15) has just been suspended from school along with a group of pupils for 'racism'. He was repeated for calling a Chinese pupil 'chink'. He vehemently denied this and was 'convicted' on the word of two pupils who reported the incident.
JA: Where is your grandson? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Tewkesbury in Gloucestershire
JA: What steps has he taken so far?
Customer: None until I obtain legal advice
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Clearly I am not impartial but he is a very honest lad and absolutely denies he had anything to do with this incident.

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Usually, headteachers can exclude your grandchild if they misbehave in or outside school. However, only disciplinary grounds may be used to exclude a student. The decision on whether to exclude is for a head teacher to take. Your grandchild should be given an opportunity to present his case before a decision is made. The decision to exclude must be:

• lawful;
  • rational;
  • reasonable;
  • fair;
  • proportionate.

You will get a letter from the school telling you what to do if you disagree with the exclusion. You can ask the school’s governing body to overturn the exclusion if either: your child has been excluded for more than 5 days or the exclusion means they’ll miss a public exam or national curriculum test. If the exclusion is for 5 days or fewer, you can still ask the governors to hear your views but they can’t overturn the headteacher’s decision.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you. That is worrying. He was not given a chance to state his case, save tell the Head he didn't say it but was just ignored. He is bereft and sobbing his heart out! The Head did say he would normally suspend them for 10 days for 'racism' but was being lenient. I guess he is aware of the information you provided ie he cannot be effectively challenged.

In that case, you should challenge its exclusion especially since your grandchild was not given an opportunity to present his case. You should then ask the school’s governing body to overturn the exclusion.

I can see you have requested a telephone call. Is this correct? 

Unfortunately, I'm not able to take calls at the moment, but the request is open to other Experts to help you. I am however available and happy to continue chatting on the platform.