How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 78227
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I want to make a complaint due to a company having my car

This answer was rated:

I want to make a complaint due to a company having my car for 10 week and not repaired it yet. I want to know where I stand
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Milton Keynes
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have contacted the garage gave them time, contacted my finance, got an inspector involved, Spoken to the ombudsman
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Hello, I’m Ben, a solicitor, and it’s my pleasure to assist you. I may ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.

I understand you are experiencing some issues with a company not repairing your car, though they have had it for 10 weeks. Please provide some more details of what exactly has happened so that I can better understand your situation

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I brought the car in the September as I put a deposit down, didn’t have the car in my possession until the October as I passed my test on that date in the first three weeks of having a vehicle the gearbox went wouldn’t allow me to select any gear such as give five over reverse this issue was then taken to the garage the time I said they lubricated the linkages and put oil in the gearbox. A further three months down the line the same issue happened again however it was only get five that my gearbox was allow me to select no other gear was able to be selected this was then taken to DNA autos in Mount farm due to having a RAC come pick me up due to the car not being drivable. The company that my car is currently with is called vehicle right solutions they’ve had the vehicle for 10 weeks the begged for the car back told me that they were gonna pay for the damage advised me that they were going to give me a courtesy car which didn’t happen.
In the meantime of them have in my vehicle for 10 weeks I’ve been in contact with my finance company who advised me to get a report that was suitable for court if it needed to go to court that was a company called ACE they report come back that the car was damaged or faulty at the time of purchase. Are they back to the finance company as they advise me once this report comes through to contact them and give them this which I did they didn’t then advised me that this complaint was able to be uphold it and advise me I would get if it went in the correct order all my money back from the finance company I would be able to get a different vehicle due to the owner of them is John Parker rejecting this complaint I had to go to management management advice because he was willing to fix the vehicle I had to give him a chance to fix it however he has had 10 weeks to try and fix his vehicle and his attitude towards this vehicle is not acceptable he advised my finance company as well as myself the vehicle would be fixed and ready as and when it would be as and when he keeps give me dates for the dates the car is never fix by that date and I have also been advised by the finance company when it hits 12 weeks I can then make another complaint due to the car being in the garage for an unreasonable amount of time

Thank you for providing this information. So what are you ideally hoping for, given the circumstances, so that I can best advise?

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Okay when can the call be made

I note you have requested a phone call. Unfortunately I am not available for one at present but please do not worry as your request is open to all experts and if someone else is free they will call you. In the meantime, I am still here to deal with your original query in writing over this chat.

What are you ideally hoping for please, given the circumstances, so that I can best advise?

Many thanks for your patience, it is appreciated. I am now pleased to be able to provide further assistance with your query. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues brought up by this. It must be a frustrating situation to be going through.

When a consumer enters into a contract for services, the Consumer Rights Act 2015 says that such services must be:

- Finished within a reasonable time (unless a specific time frame has been agreed)

In addition, any information exchanged in communications between the parties, whether written or verbal, is binding if the consumer relies on it to proceed with the services in question. If there are problems and the trader cannot satisfy the above criteria, which are legally expected of them, the consumer will have certain rights

In the case of delays, for example if the work has substantially gone over the agreed schedule or not been performed within a reasonable time, the consumer can ask for a price reduction to cover any financial losses or inconvenience caused as a result. If the work is incomplete and the trader refuses to work to the agreed schedule, or complete it, it is possible to get someone else to finish the work and charge the original trader for these additional costs.

In order to resolve any problems that have arisen, it is generally recommended that the following steps are followed:

1. Collect all documents relating to the work (e.g. quote, contract, correspondence, etc.).

2. Contact the trader and explain your problem. Ask them to resolve any issues and set a reasonable time limit for them to respond (7 days is acceptable).

3. If the matter is still not resolved, write to the trader repeating your complaint and how you would like them to resolve the issues. Say you are giving them a final time limit of 7 days to resolve the problem or you will have to consider taking legal proceedings to recover your losses and any additional costs. This is also known as a ‘letter before action’ and there are plenty of templates if you do an online search for one.

4. If the trader fails to respond or refuses to resolve the problem, you could consider taking legal action by seeking compensation. Remember that court is a last resort, however threatening it can be a good negotiating tool because it shows you are serious about resolving this and may prompt the trader to reconsider their position.

5. Finally, make sure that you keep copies of all correspondence, in case it is needed in the claims process.

If you wish to take the matter further and issue legal proceedings, assuming you will just be claiming financial compensation, you may pursue your claim via the County Court’s online portal at

You may also wish to consider reporting them to Trading Standards, which you can do via the following link: