How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Solicitor4All Your Own Question
Solicitor4All, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 8213
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Type Your Law Question Here...
Solicitor4All is online now

Split with my boyfriend. He moved in my council house which

Customer Question

Split with my boyfriend. He moved in my council house which I live with my 3 children- not his. I'm the named person on the tenancy as I didn't change it. His name are on tge bills and has lived with us 4 years. He is now refusing to leave as he states its his home.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I'm in East Yorkshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: He's packed his clothes a d refuses to talk to me. He's giving me the silent treatment. He says if I want him out to go to court.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: He's a drinker and it's not healthy for my 3 children
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Solicitor4All replied 10 days ago.
Good evening, welcome to just  answer. I am a solicitor and reviewing your question now for you.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Expert:  Solicitor4All replied 10 days ago.

thank you for your patience. As a partner and not on the tenancy he does not have the right to the tenancy and therefore he should leave should you need him to leave. He is not a trespasser since you allowed him to live there but you can lock him out and not allow him entry as he has no right as not noted on the tenancy as permitted occupier.

Expert:  Solicitor4All replied 10 days ago.

Any follow up please do not hesitate to send your message. We are always glad to clarify and to assist you further should you need to return to us. All the best.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
If he refuses to live can I phone the police for assistance and will they help
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Leave sorry not live
Expert:  Solicitor4All replied 10 days ago.

The police unfortunately will not come but as soon as he gets aggressive or violent or abusive over the request for him to leave then apply for a non-molestation order and that will require him to leave and to not be anywhere near you. If he breaches this the police will get involved and he would be risking

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Can I apply for anything to get him out if he refuses to go. I go away in 2 weeks and don't want him in my family home.
Expert:  Solicitor4All replied 10 days ago.

if there is no aggression/abuse/violence your options are limited unless the council wants to help you.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thankyou will phone Monday
Expert:  Solicitor4All replied 10 days ago.

Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your question. PLEASE USE YOUR MEMBERSHIP. On top of lawyers, you can access to thousands of experts including: Caring and licensed Veterinarians- Board Certified Doctors Master Auto Mechanics